AMSTED DESIGN-BUILD is in search of an extraordinary Design Manager to join our team.
Be part of an award-winning team, as we transform our clients’ dilemmas into life changing solutions! A remodelled heritage barn in Stittsville serves as the creative hub of the company, where spread out over 3 floors, our management, design and construction teams collaboratively beautify the Ottawa housing landscape. We also have three satellite offices in The Glebe, McKellar Park, and New Edinburgh.
We are searching for a highly qualified, experienced (minimum 10 years) residential architectural designer who will lead, grow, motivate and advance our design department as industry leaders. The successful candidate will actively manage the delivery of high-end residential custom design-build projects. Your team deliverables shall be to fulfill the clients’ design needs by applying good architectural and organizational principles. You will provide design, creative, and management support to our award-winning project team, by developing all working drawings and written documentation necessary to execute contracts and manage projects to completion. The success of the project and satisfaction of the design-build team rely critically on your attention to detail and ability to exceed expectations.
What you will do (aka Role and Responsibilities):
- Responsible for quality of all design solutions from design department, while providing constructive feedback & be your team and our clients “Trusted Advisor”
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Construction teams to design great solutions for our clients. You will apply good design principles within the constraints of a reasonable budget, while being sensitive to the existing structure and surrounding community if any.
- Sell designs to clients, maintaining customer satisfaction and expectations with design/budget through design and construction.
- Responsible for all aspects of design, delivery and selections:
- Design: site measurement (manual & Lidar), input as-found dimensions, space plan, verify zone and restrictions, prepare concept drawings, prepare design presentations, provide detail construction/working drawings, design structural and interior details, manage design decisions.
- Construction: prepare construction packages, ensure delivery of selections to job site at appropriate time, interact with sub-trades, provide construction support, liaise with construction and client to ensure what was sold is being built.
- Administrative: manage designers, collect and manage company specific data, collect and manage job specific data, attend periodic site-visits for projects in construction, provide award submissions support.
- Examine concept/schematic drawings for conformity and errors
- Oversee plan circulation to production team, trades and suppliers
- Ensure drawing revisions & document filing/uploading in accordance with company standards.
- Provide support to the project team as it relates to organizing, preparing and reviewing documentation and matters relating to residential construction packages
- Assist in creating specifications binders & interior finishing packages
- Work cooperatively with sales to fulfill client requirements (design solutions and budget)
- Lead weekly ‘one-on-one’ meetings with each in-house team member
- Perform annual performance reviews & career planning
- Facilitate monthly Team meetings (team building)
- Continue development of policies & procedures and manage approved design and selection templates and standards
- Motivate, mentor and inspire team to perform at optimum levels in a fun, nurturing environment.
- Update all information as requested by appropriate team members due to changes or modifications throughout the design and construction process
- Site visits/inspections for problem solving as needed
- Keep informed on new products and design trends
- Represent company and teammates at industry events
- Maintain company culture
What you bring to the role (aka Skills and Qualifications):
- 10+ years of fulltime, residential design work experience (both new custom homes & renovations) and be self-motivated with a strong work ethic who takes pride in the quality of their work
- Experience working with the City of Ottawa will be considered a significant asset
- Ability to represent self and company in professional, knowledgeable manner
- Entrepreneurial spirit, highly organized, strong desire for customer service & strong leadership skills
- Management experience required as you will be managing & mentoring our “Design Team”; team consists of in-house Architectural Technologists (2), Architectural Technician (1), Selections Coordinator (1; Interior Designer) and several outsource designers.
- High level of proficiency in residential design on Revit /+ AutoCAD platforms
- Sound knowledge of the Ontario Building Code
- Solid computer skills (MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent listening and communication skills - written and verbal (you will regularly liaise with sales, design, production and clients)
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to revise work
- Knowledge of residential interior detailing
- Knowledge of energy efficient & environmental/green building practices
- Architectural designation an asset
- Detail oriented (extremely important)
- Excellent organizational skills
- A laugh now and then (we like to have fun!)
What you should know about us (aka Why You Want to Work Here):
- The work you do makes a difference: Our team-player employees are the basis of our solid foundation on which we built our reputation of 30 years as an award-winning and life changing design-builder of interiors, renovations, additions and custom homes.
- You will have a voice: We are looking for someone who can bring initiative to the job and has recommendations and solutions to our challenges. We will listen; your opinions will not fall on deaf ears.
- You will be appreciated: a strong work ethic, loyalty and accountability is appreciated… and rewarded.
- Learning new skills and getting your hands dirty is important: Figuratively speaking. Simply put, we want someone who won’t back down from a challenge when things get “dirty”. We want someone with a sense of teamwork, not entitlement, who’s adaptable, not rigid. Although you will need many skills to apply, we feel that certain skills can be learned while attitude and personality cannot.
- We give back to the community - a lot: We sponsor several charitable events and causes with money, services and expertise.
We strive to provide a work environment that is enjoyable and achieves a balance between work and personal time. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm, however, your schedule will require flexibility for evenings and weekends based on the production schedule.
If you feel you can bring these skills to our team, then we would like to hear from you. Please forward your resume and a letter explaining to us why YOU are the right fit for Amsted Design-Build along with your salary expectations to Stephanie Fahey by email (Stephanie.Fahey @ Amsted.ca)
Amsted Design-Build welcomes and encourages all applicants. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family, parental, veteran or disability status. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- residential architectural design: 10 years (Required)