FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we're just getting started and there's a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Website Development Team Lead
The Website Development Team Lead is responsible for the discovery, definition and delivery of website marketing initiatives that showcase the FreshBooks product, attract new customers, and improves overall customer experience.
Working with a technical architect and team of full stack web and application developers you will lead an agile team of marketing professionals in executing development projects, performance and SEO optimizations, and infrastructure improvements on the FreshBooks public website and blog.
Along with a strong technical background, and history working with web marketing teams, you'll have experience managing development teams to ensure projects are properly scoped, prioritized, assigned and delivered on time. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be able to manage team growth and development as the team continues to grow.
What you'll do:
What you have:
- Guide website development and infrastructure projects, including security improvements, site updates, bug fixes, accessibility, risk management and site performance
- Lead discussions around technical design and architecture decisions for the future of the public website
- Manage development team consisting of developers and a QA analyst, providing technical support to deliver web projects utilizing various project management tools (JIRA, Trello, Wiki, etc.)
- Collaborate with full-stack web developers working on the FreshBooks.com website and blog
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to deliver the best possible web experience for our customers
- Create technical roadmaps for the public website and blog
- Engage with internal and external development partners to deliver new exciting web experiences to FreshBooks customers
- Manage estimation and scoping of web projects, working with Project Managers and Scrum Masters to assign development lead(s) for implementation
- Nurture strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholders across the company to ensure the website is supporting business needs and driving business results
- Partner with SEO Manager to ensure site is optimized for current SEO trends and initiatives
- Grow collaboration with internal Product Development team to ensure a seamless transition from Website to Product for our customers
- Develop skills matrix and growth opportunities for the existing development team
- Continually look for areas to improve the daily operation efficiencies of an agile development team
What you may also have:
- 5+ years of experience leading software development teams and/or website operations within an agile environment
- Strong understanding and experience using WordPress as a content management platform
- Bachelor's degree in information systems, computer science or related practical experience
- Self-starter with a proven track record of taking ownership and driving meaningful results
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated proficiency in coding, code reviews, and technical communication
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with people at all levels within the organization
- Understanding of web analytics (Google Analytics), A/B testing, website performance KPIs
- Experience migrating CMS systems or experience implementing enterprise CMS solutions
- Understand of web deployment tools (CirleCI, Jenkins)
- Proficiency with unit and integration testing
- Experience with Fastly or equivalent edge cloud platforms (AWS, GCP)
- Understanding of headless CMS systems, their use and implementation
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).