Job Description – Senior Programmer Analyst
Senior Programmer Analyst
Information Technology Director
Sooke School District is the fastest growing School District in British Columbia. Reporting to the Director IT, the role of Senior Programmer Analyst is to define, develop, test, analyze and maintain new web, data, forms and other software applications. This includes writing, coding, testing and analyzing software programs and applications. The Senior Programmer Analyst will work with multiple stakeholder groups to research, design, document and modify software specifications.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Analysis and development of new software programs and applications
Liaise with the information technology team to assist in resolving problems with software products or 3rd party software systems
Analyze and assess existing business systems and procedures
Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of software’s business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments
Assist in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation
Research, identify, analyze, and fulfil requirements of internal and external users
Consistently code software programs and applications according to specifications
Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of applications
Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging
Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas
Generate statistics and write reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process
Develop and maintain user manuals and guidelines
Train end users to operate new or modified programs
Conduct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
Liaise with vendors for efficient implementation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues
Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
Install software products for end users as required
Work both independently and as a team member with a strong focus on results
Work under pressure and tight deadlines and order competing priorities
Provide technical leadership for other team members
Accuracy; diplomacy and tact in day to day interactions
Proven ability to prioritize work, problem-solve
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and ability to adapt to a changing environment
Conduct oneself appropriate to an educational institution providing services to children
Be knowledgeable and supportive of Administrative Procedures and directives
Perform other duties as may be required or assigned
- University Degree in Computer Science Information systems, or Software engineering
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years equivalent work experience with experience interviewing end-users for insight on functionality, interface, problems, and/or usability issues
- Certifications in Visual Studio.Net, SQL Server, Cisco. Aruba are a definite asset
- Proficiency in a variety of programming languages, including ASP.Net, Visual Basic.Net, C#, Perl, PHP, SQL
- Experience in Web design, Web forms development – Drupal, Wordpress, Sharepoint
- Experience in system integration using batch and real-time integration techniques
- Integration Tools – SSIS, SSRS, Web Services, SOAP, XML
- Experience with testing tools
- Up-to-date knowledge of data warehouse and database technologies that are applicable to activities in System and Database Development
- Excellent understanding of coding best practices and methods
- Extensive relational database and operating systems experience with MS SQL Server, MySQL or MongoDB
- Thorough understanding of platforms such as Microsoft Windows and Linux
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- ITIL Certification and Project Management certification a plus
- 7 years’ technical experience in Enterprise IT environment
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver's license
Teamwork and cooperation is the ability to work co-operatively with diverse teams, work groups and across the organization that includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
Listening, Understanding and Responding is the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds. It includes the ability to understand accurately and respond effectively to both spoken and unspoken or partly expressed thoughts, feelings and concerns of others.
Organizational Awareness is the acumen to appreciate and the ability to use the power relationships in either one's own, or other, organization(s). This includes the ability to identify the real decision-makers and the individuals who can influence them; and to predict how new events or situations will affect individuals and groups within the organization.
Planning, Organizing and Coordinating involves proactively planning, establishing priorities and allocating resources. It is expressed by developing and implementing increasingly complex plans. It also involves monitoring and adjusting work to accomplish goals and deliver to the organization's mandate
Service Orientation implies a desire to identify and serve customers/clients, who may include the public, co-workers, other branches/divisions, other ministries/agencies, other government organizations, and non-government organizations. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer/client.
Problem Solving/Sound Judgment is the ability to analyze problems systematically, organize information, and identify key factors and options leading to successful outcomes.