Performs both clinical and administrative duties to ensure the dental office runs efficiently and smoothly. Works under the instruction of dentists and follows patient management processes and protocols provided in the clinic. Utilize training and qualifications to deliver dental care to patients independently or together with other team members. Works under the supervision of dentists and may work closely with dental hygienists in day-to-day activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Establish and facilitate long-term patient relationships by welcoming patients by name.
· Prepare dental operatory for clinical procedures:
· Arrange appropriate dental instruments, materials, and equipment
· Display relevant x-rays on screen
· Apply topical anesthetics, if used; apply sealants as directed by dentist.
· Place isolation (rubber dam, IsoLite) as required and utilize suction system to keep patient’s mouth dry.
· Utilize four-handed assisting to assist dentist in clinical procedures
· Be aware of instructions for and be able to mix and prepare a variety of materials, such as cements, medicaments, bonding agents, and fillings.
· Conduct post-operative and post-treatment procedures, as instructed by the dentist.
· Use client-centered approach, always acting or advocating in the client’s best interest; educate patients on oral hygiene instructions, including brushing and flossing techniques.
· Maintain a clean working environment, according to current infection control procedures.
· Sterilize instruments.
· Adhere to current jurisdictional legislation, regulations, codes of ethics, practice standards, guidelines, and policies relevant to the profession and practice setting.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Must have at least 2 years of experience.
· Must be licensed, or have the qualifications to be licensed, by the provincial governing body in the jurisdiction of the dental clinic.
· Must be proficient in all duties allowed by registered dental assistants under the provincial Health Profession Act.
· Knowledge of technological and product options.
· Patient services orientation with a desire to create a comfortable and caring environment.
· Must be able to participate with a team of dental care professionals in creating a safe, effective, and efficient workplace.
· Able to provide a safe environment that meets universal infection control and workplace health and safety requirements and protocols.
· Exceptional time management and organizational skills to ensure proper management of scheduled treatment during the day; goal of minimizing patient wait times.
· Strong listening, teamwork, oral and written communication skills.
· Detail oriented and dexterity.
Work area near the dental chair to arrange instruments, materials, and medication and hand them to the dentist when needed. Must wear safety glasses, surgical masks, protective clothing, and gloves to protect one-self and patients from infectious diseases. Must also follow safety procedures to minimize risks associated with the use of x-ray machines. Some evenings and/or weekends possible depending on clinic hours of operation.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent