The Senior Budget Officer plays a key role in a comprehensive range of budget management and fiscal analysis. The position provides professional, technical, analytical, and consultative services on financial matters to Ministry staff, senior management, and external clients.
The Senior Budget Officer will provide leadership and support to the Financial Planning unit to fulfill Ministry accountability responsibilities under the Financial Administration Act, the Government Organization Act, and the Results Based Budgeting Act by:
Developing processes to prepare the Ministry’s annual budget submission to Treasury Board and finalization of the Ministry’s Main Estimates, including the Minister’s briefing package and Minister’s key budget messages required for the Committee of Supply debate.
- Providing analysis and interpretation of program area budget and forecast submissions and recommendations for the ADM of Corporate Services and Executive Team.
- Working with program areas and staff in other Ministries to improve partnerships and ensure accurate updates and financial reports are prepared regarding Ministry projects, cross-ministry initiatives, and other correspondence as required by the Minister and Deputy Minister.
- Support the coordination and implementation of Results Based Budgeting and ensuring the Ministry is in compliance with the legislation and Treasury Board processes, instructions, and decisions
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Planning, this position performs all work within the parameters of relevant legislation, policies, guidelines, business practices, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
The position also facilitates and fosters an effective, efficient financial team environment and will report to the Manager of Financial Planning on associated duties. This position also assists with the analysis of financial results in the GOA’s Annual and Quarterly Fiscal Update publications and the Ministry Main Estimates and Annual Report, including financial variance analysis and recommendations.
The Senior Budget Officer is relied on to provide professional advice, guidance, and consultation relating to budgets, forecasts, financial and accounting policies, regulations, and procedures to support senior management decision-making and facilitate achievement of Ministry business plan goals.
This position also contributes to continual improvement by:
- analyzing issues;
- streamlining activities;
- developing procedures and presentations to enhance financial management reporting and budgeting to the Senior Financial Officer and Executive Team;
- explaining instructions, guidelines and processes to Ministry representatives; and
- preparing training initiatives for department staff regarding budget and forecast processes, procedures and policies