Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Contributes to the overall success of the Commercial Bank in Canada ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Provide Advise and Counsel to Client Relationship Managers in Mid Market - on the presentation of credit proposals. This includes coaching, prompt feedback and sound guidance on structuring deals. In addition, providing suggestions on restructuring marginal proposals into bankable deals where possible. As necessary to also meet with GRM to align strategies on proceeding with a deal. The role is not to underwrite the deals but to provide suggestions on appropriate structuring and a review of applications to ensure underwriting requirements are met and applications are completed in an accurate fashion.
- Ensure the ongoing quality of the credit portfolio- providing oversight to the team on various aspects such as early identification of problem loans, appropriateness of risk ratings, timeliness of annual reviews and reporting requirements and adherence to credit requirements. Responsibilities will be to ensure accounts (both borrowing and non- borrowing customers) are properly and continually managed, monitored and reviewed to adhere to criteria laid down by the Bank’s adjudicating, auditing and compliance groups. Challenges along with recommended solutions are to be provided to the Director & Group Lead and to the VP.
- Manage the Client Service Associates in Mid Market- provide timely performance feedback and developing the skills of the team through coaching and guidance.
- Training on credit and operational skills- assist in delivery of various training programs as requested to ensure continually learning opportunities for the team.
- Support the Group Lead & Director in their absence as necessary - for the continual smooth operation of the Team.
- Contributing to business development opportunities -by identifying and recommending referral opportunities and possible cross sell options to the Client Relationship Mangers in Mid Market and ensuring similar support by direct reports
- Champion sustainment of the Target Operating Model- by ensuring activities align to roles and responsibilities and adherence to guidelines and processes within the Team.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
- Manage typically 4-8 Client Service Associates in Mid Market
- Working closely with 6-12 Client Relationship Managers in Mid Market
- The clients serviced are in Canada and generally within the same regional although they could have operations across the country as well as in international locations. Thee clients will be both borrowing and non-borrowing.
- Credit Size is from $1-$25MM with deal complexity moderate to high
- The incumbent will interact primarily with the following partners: Global Risk Management, Global Banking Markets, the Business Service Center, Enhanced Due Diligence Unit as well as other partners in the Commercial Banking Executive Office
- The incumbent will typically receive requests from the Director & Group Lead and the Commercial Banking Vice President
- The environment is fast paced and demanding and will at times require priorities be re-adjusted to accommodate urgent requests
Education / Experience / Other Information (include only those that are specific to the role)
- University Degree with Business Background- MBA or professional designation preferred
- Commitment to participate in continually learning programs
- Experienced lender with strong overall credit and selling skills
- Superior coaching and management skills
- Strong knowledge of credit structures and applicable risk management
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Good negotiation and problem resolution skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Strong regulatory and compliance knowledge
- Good knowledge of Commercial Banking Distribution structure as well as role of other groups within Commercial Banking
- Good knowledge of competitor offerings, alternative sources of financing and industry knowledge
- Highly skilled- Results Focused, Strategic Influencing, Communication, Customer Focused
- Skilled- Building Strategic Relationships, Self Awareness & Personal Development
- Work in a standard office-based environment; non-standard hours are a common occurrence. Limited travel domestically
Canada : Manitoba : Winnipeg
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.