Improve lives. Love your job. Grow your career.
LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services is seeking a Medical Laboratory Technologist – Genetics to join our team in Toronto, Ontario.
Our Medical Lab Technologists provide accurate and timely interpretive and diagnostic specimen testing and reporting. Through accuracy, quality, efficiency and expediting test results, you will contribute to patient well-being and the achievement of better health outcomes. This is a great role for a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
This is a Full Time role working the Flexible Shift , suitable to the maintenance of a healthy work/life balance. LifeLabs’ facilities are also known as “teaching laboratories,” offering opportunities to share knowledge in a collaborative environment and the ability to teach our college and university student placements.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Carry out a diverse range of work activities; ensure all duties and responsibilities are handled with accuracy and efficiency to provide quality results.
- Perform all aspects of sample processing, including DNA extraction, using a variety of advanced genetic laboratory applications.
- Prepare, perform, and analyze a variety of molecular diagnostic techniques, including: Sanger Sequencing, MLPA, Real-time PCR, MassArray Genotyping, and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
- Interpretation of analytical results.
- Complete duties following policies and procedures as documented.
- Identify incidents and non-conformances; participate in developing effective corrective action plans, and escalations as appropriate.
- Ensure confidentiality of patient information.
- Use personal protective equipment (e.g. gloves, lab coats) as specified in EHS procedures.
- Ensure appropriate handling and inventory levels of laboratory supplies.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work environment.
Quality Assurance and Regulatory Compliance
- Maintain membership in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO).
- Maintain and demonstrate technical competence.
- Perform assigned diagnostic testing including Quality Control, Quality Assurance, equipment maintenance, proficiency testing, Quality Management, following LifeLabs procedures.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of test results, recognize discrepancies and take appropriate action.
- Observe and report poor results or equipment malfunctions to designated senior staff.
- Perform self-audits and submit procedural revisions.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities.
- Stay informed and in compliance with all safety regulations as they relate to the laboratory environment (i.e. WHMIS, TDG, waste disposal, LifeLabs Safety manual).
- Keep up to date with information shared through the different modes of communication (e.g. memos, LifeLabs Policies, LifeLabs Procedures (SOPs),etc ).
Are You a Good Fit?
- LifeLabs is seeking individuals who can work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment, while adhering to LifeLabs’ standards of safety, accuracy and efficiency. Do you have:
CMLTO registration with certification in Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics.
Clinical Genetics Technology post-graduate diploma.
Excellent communication skills to enable you to relate with a wide variety of people.
Good computer skills and knowledge.
Problem solving skills, including the ability to identify and follow-up on issues.
Ability to maintain the strictest standards of safety, patient privacy and confidentiality.
At LifeLabs, great employees are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why LifeLabs provides more than just competitive compensation and benefits – our employees receive coaching and training in an environment that fosters open communication, education opportunities with tuition reimbursement, and opportunities for advancement and changes in career direction. We especially encourage applications from new graduates and individuals looking to advance their careers.
Does this sound like the job for you? We’d love to discuss your qualifications. Apply online today!
LifeLabs is committed to building an inclusive environment and will provide accommodations in accordance with the AODA – Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please indicate in your application any accommodations you will require throughout the recruitment process. Alternatively please contact our corporate offices main line to be directed to a member of the Talent Acquisition team at (416) 675-4530.