Nature and Scope
This position provides support to the clients and staff at TRC. This position promotes active recovery by engaging clients in recreation, activities and provides transportation for clients to off-site meetings and events. In coordination with the clinical care team, the Community Addictions Support Worker works with administration, coworkers and other agencies to support TRC’s commitment in order to maximize recovery and clients engagement throughout the recovery process.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Organizes, plans and facilitates structured and unstructured activities both on and off site to provide client engagement specific to their needs.
- Facilitates scheduled activities including: meditations, walks, recreational activities, etc.
- Transports clients to appropriate meetings, appointments, activities and events.
- Assists with the organization and facilitation for internal and external events including: bookings, movies, lectures and program offerings.
- Welcomes clients and family members to TRC; provides agency information and follows up with questions, inquiries and concerns.
- Communicates program schedules and daily activities to clients.
- Provides assistance in completing the admission process to program and detox.
- Listens to, converses and validates the feelings of clients. Counseling or therapy is not conducted.
- Contacts the on-call community counselor as required.
- Follows up with TRC community counselors, reporting behaviours, progress, interactions and other related concerns and developments.
- Documents all interactions and observations appropriately on an ongoing basis.
- Presents agency guidelines to clients, visitors and family members.
- Conducts facility orientation to new clients.
- Assists clients in organizing appointments and twelve step meetings as requested.
- Provides socialization with the clients, as time permits modeling appropriate interpersonal, communication and boundary skills.
Client Safety and Security
- Maintains the whereabouts of residence and clients. Ensures that agency guidelines are being maintained.
- Maintains security by following procedures, monitoring visitor log-in information and issues visitor passes.
- Performs dorm room checks and regular inspections.
- Conducts fire and building security checks.
- Monitors cameras and activities within the building.
- Provides effective documentation for client case notes.
- Maintains current communication with the clinical care team.
- Provides accurate documentation on the Communication section of the database.
- Provides alleviation of Community Addictions Administrator’s reception duties as needed.
- Adheres to TRC’s Code of Ethics and policy standards.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and workshops.
- Provides relief for client intake and transportation.
- Works cooperatively with staff and clients sharing information in a timely manner.
- All other duties as required.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Grade twelve diploma (or equivalent).
- Preference will be given to those with a Social Services Certificate or Diploma.
- Class five driver’s license with a clear driver’s abstract.
- Clear Criminal Record check and Child Welfare check.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer skills including: Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer skills.
- Standard First Aid, CPR and Suicide Intervention Training (ASIST Training) completed within four months of hire.
- A demonstrated interest in recovery coupled with knowledge of the 12 step program or general recovery process.
- Strong interpersonal, confidentiality and conflict resolution skills.
Job Type: Casual
- Support Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Lloydminster, AB (Preferred)