Position: Manager of Communication
Term: Contractual (Renewable Based on Funding)
Office Locations: Miramichi, Fredericton, and Elsipogtog
Salary: Based on experience and education
Deadline: September 10th, 2019 at 5:00 pm
About the Employer
Mawiw Council Inc. is one of approximately 80 tribal councils in Canada. It is a non-profit corporation governed by a Board of Directors comprised of Chiefs of partnering First Nations: Neqotkuk, Elsipogtog, and Esgenoôpetitj. As a tribal council, Mawiw is mandated to provide capacity building services to its three First Nations. Our organization receives core funding from Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) and project-based funding from a number of federal, provincial and other sources.
Overview of Position
The Manager of Communication is responsible for the internal and external communications of Mawiw, the creation and distribution of stories, events and accounts specific to the social and cultural aspects of Wolastoqiyik and Mi’kmaq life. This position requires management of effective and engaging messages, media releases, coordination of events and gatherings, and on-site representation in partnering communities, and external parties for this organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or marketing
- Master’s degree in communications
- 3+ years of experience in similar position
- Knowledge of communication mediums and technology relevant to First Nations
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the Wolastoqiyik and Mi’kmaq nations, culture, history, and language is considered an asset
- Criminal record check, Vulnerable Sectors check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- A valid driver’s license (class V) and use of a vehicle
- Ability to travel; Travel will be required
- Communication Skills - Communication with all Mawiw Executives and Directors, trilateral governments, First Nations organizations, external Indigenous news sources, and media organizations. Excellent written and verbal communication is essential.
- Relationship Building - Ability to forge connections in First Nations industry (writers, linguists, artists, and performing arts) as well as external sources in print, digital media and production.
- Analytical Skills – Always on top of latest development within Mawiw to release interpretations on them to the public.
- Managerial Skills – Develop and maintain a current strategic communications plan for Mawiw. Oversee the internal and external corporate communication requirements of the organizations.
- In the event there are two or more equally qualified applicants, preference will go to the First Nation applicant(s);
- We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for interviews will be contacted;
- A complete application contains: A cover letter illustrating why you qualify for the position; a detailed CV; and 2 to 3 references;
- Address applications to the following contact information below:
Job Type: Contract
- Mi'kmaq and/or Wolastoqiyik (Preferred)