Reporting to the Interim Manager, International Education, Office of Global Engagement, Campbell River Campus, the Advisor, International Student Success provides current and up-to-date information on North Island College programs, and the post-secondary sector to current and prospective international students. The Advisor will provide specialized advising services that support international students, including pre-departure and orientation support, cultural transition support and advice on study permits, temporary resident visas, and how study permits relate to other currently available Canadian immigration programs. The Advisor provides information on admission eligibility, registration processes, and College policies and procedures. The Advisor will work with students to explore career options and assist students with the preparation of their educational plans. The Advisor will participate in recruitment activities as required. The Advisor, International Student Success is aware of the Mission and Values of North Island College, incorporating and practicing the values in everything they do.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties and Responsibilities
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, please click on the link to the job description below.
Required Education & Experience
1. Successful completion of a minimum of four years post-secondary education. Bachelor degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, or Business preferred.
2. Minimum three years of recent experience working with post-secondary students in an intercultural environment, preferably within a post-secondary institution working directly with international students, or an equivalent combination of international training and student experience.
3. Status as an Authorized Canada Immigration Representative as either a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in good standing as approved by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council, or eligibility for and willingness to obtain certification.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
1. Proficiency with the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office and ability to use the internet extensively.
2. Knowledge/experience with a database student records system.
3. Knowledge, experience, understanding and sensitivity for working in a culturally diverse environment and appreciation of the educational and relational issues faced by international students.
4. Good knowledge and understanding of North Island College current programs and courses and the BC Transfer Guide system.
5. Good knowledge of the BC post-secondary system.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of IRCC, Immigration and Refugee Protection Act/Regulations, policies and procedures pertaining to international students.
7. Excellent and clearly evidenced interpersonal and coaching skills, communication, and conflict resolution skills and the ability to work effectively with the public, students and College staff.
8. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
9. Ability to work independently and deal effectively with a range of issues, managing multiple projects in a fast-paced team environment with tight deadlines and high volume.
10. Ability to work cross and inter-divisionally to resolve student related issues.
11. Proven ability to work cooperatively as part of a team and use good judgment, tact and diplomacy.
12. Ability to speak in public, organize presentations, and write information material in a clear and concise manner.
13. Proven ability/experience as a liaison with community and government agencies and groups.
14. Must possess a valid driver's license.
15. Flexibility and adaptability to meet students' needs may require work during evenings and weekends.
16. Ability to speak an additional language, preferably Mandarin.
- Applicants should be prepared for testing
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.