Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our eight health and wellness locations, seven child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Health & Fitness Supervisor
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton
$41,685.00 - $52,106.00/year
- This position requires a flexible schedule with availability to work early mornings (5am), weekdays, evenings and weekends as required to meet facility and programming needs.
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
- Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits. Premiums paid in full by the Association;
- Pension plan with specified contribution matching by the Association;
- Anniversary flex day and gifts given to celebrate each year of employment;
- Program discounts;
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
- Leadership award opportunities;
- Scholarship opportunities;
- Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following;
- Bachelor of Physical Education, Kinesiology (or related degree) and/or equivalent experience;
- Resistance or Group Fitness Training Certification(s); (AFLCA, YMCA courses & suitable equivalents will be considered). YMCA basic certification courses are required to be completed within three months of the hiring date; YMCA Canada Trainer certification is required within 2 years of hire;
- Minimum two years’ experience in the field, and one year supervisory experience;
- CSEP CEP or CPT certificate is preferred;
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification (CPR recertified within the last 12 months);
- Evidence of a cleared police security clearance including a vulnerable sector search;
- Three professional references required.
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
The Health & Fitness Supervisor will:
- Develop, control and evaluate the adult programs budget (including fitness programs and strength and conditioning), related statistics, and purchase equipment as required;
- Recruit, hire, supervise and train fitness and strength and conditioning staff and volunteers, including conducting certification observations;
- Provide direct hands-on program delivery 2-10 hours per week or as required to meet area needs;
- Deliver YMCA/AFLCA leadership courses and support the roll-out of new YMCA Canada courses;
- Ensure excellent quality member service by identifying the needs and wants of members and participants as priority and respond to their concerns in an effective, timely manner;
- Ensure effective programming and management of the Fitness & Strength & Conditioning areas, upholding YMCA service standards;
- Effectively communicate in a variety of methods and settings;
- Deliver the YMCA/AFLCA instructor certification courses and represent the branch on the Association’s Adult workgroup and task forces where required;
- Assist with building supervision duties including scheduled duty manager shifts;
- Participate in the YMCA Let's Raise campaign and other special events as required.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
- Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
- Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
- Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
- Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
- Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
- Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
- Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview. This posting will close when a suitable candidate is found.
For any concerns or questions please contact Cassandra Petrovic, Recruitment Manager