This position and other hospitality positions in Canada's Arctic with Inns North Hotels requires relocation on a 6 month, 1 year, 2 year or permanent basis.
Relocation Assistance is included.
Position Title: Hotel Cook Manager
Reports to: General Manager, Co-op
This management position is located in Pangnirtung, Nunavut
These roles are offered at a permanent or a contract level (1 year minimum) and the compensation package varies upon property, size of operation and volume of the hotel. The positions are annual based salary. There is subsidized housing (either in hotel or staff housing).
Auyuittuq Inns North is owned and operated by the Pangnirtung Co-op. Pangnirtung is located on a narrow coastal plain against a spectacular backdrop of high mountains and a winding river valley. Auyuittuq Inns North has 22 rooms which include 16 Junior rooms and 6 Executive suites.
Reporting to the Co-operative General Manager, the Hotel Manager/Cook is responsible for the effective administration of hotel operations and food services ensuring a high level of customer service to the patrons. Specifically, he/she is responsible for daily financial records and reporting, hiring and training of staff, payroll administration, day-to-day business communication, marketing and promotion, kitchen and food services and other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure optimal customer relations by responding effectively to customer enquiries and requests;
- Manage the reservation system. Register incoming guests and prepare guest portfolios. Check out guests and ensure payments are current;
- Ensure hotel guests are provided transportation services to and from the airport as needed;
- Effectively organize and oversee all hotel duties including all filing (reservations, bookings, lease information, invoices, statements etc.), ordering, preparing and sending customer invoices and basic office procedures;
- Conduct day end closing procedures and reconcile reports as necessary. Report all shortages or reconciliation issues with General Manager. Ensure daily deposits are made;
- Process all incoming and outgoing transfers, invoices and charges;
- Order hotel and restaurant supplies and maintain adequate inventory levels;
- Oversees or delivers duties and responsibilities with respect to housekeeping;
- Hire, train, provide direction, schedule and evaluate staff for the hotel/food services. Advise the General Manager of areas necessitating discipline;
- Ensure the accurate recording and organization of payroll records including timesheets, schedules and related payroll files and employee records;
- Approve payroll, staff timesheets and submit them to the General Manager for processing;
- Ensure that the hotel and restaurant, and any other business activities related to the hotel, operate in a professional manner and that all regulations and legislated standards are adhered to;
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs to the facility per the General Manager's guidelines;
- Ensure that three daily meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are offered and prepared for hotel guests;
- Deliver food preparation services to meet or exceed standards;
- Maintain the efficient organization of meal planning. Prepare the weekly/monthly menu and cost out all meal items to ensure proper margin is being maintained;
- Ensure an adequate inventory level is maintained and coordinate ordering through preferred suppliers as required;
- Ensure that the kitchen and dining room meets the highest of standards for cleanliness and organization. Delegate clean-up activities as required;
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the hospitality industry.
- Formal training in food services - Cook Level I, Journeymen’s certificate or equivalent cooking experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in hotel and food services management;
- Superior organizational skills;
- Excellent people management skills including the ability to recruit, hire, train, motivate, evaluate, discipline, develop and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing;
- Intermediate proficiency in application software – ideally Microsoft Office and POS;
- Certification in Safe Food Handling;
- Certification in Emergency First Aid is an asset;
- Maintain acceptable criminal reference and credit reference to ensure eligibility for bonding.
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Solid understanding of co-operative principles and philosophies;
- Extended hours of work, including 50-60 hours per week are not unusual in a hotel operation;
- Access to medical facilities is limited with many locations only having a nurse’s station.
Job Type: Full-time