Menno Place is one of BC’s largest campuses-of-care ranging from independent living to complex care for 700 residents over 11.5 acres in Abbotsford, BC. Founded in 1953 by the Mennonite Benevolent Society, Menno Place focuses on Person and Family centered care and has the privilege of serving the physical, emotional, spiritual and recreational needs of residents, families and staff alike.
Menno Place is seeking Recreation Aides with demonstrated ability to fulfill the recreation therapy needs of our residents. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Under the direction of the Recreation and Volunteer Manager, Recreation Aides carries out the established recreation programs designed to meet the physical, social, emotional, cognitive, spiritual, and cultural needs/interests of our residents.
- Assisting in the development of recreation and leisure services including program research development, implementation and evaluation as required.
- Carrying out established recreation programs including, but not limited to, outings, exercises, crafts, social events, entertainment, games, music, etc.
- Assisting in the completion and posting of monthly calendars
- Assisting in the co-ordination of external groups to provide in-house programs as required.
- Assisting residents to, during, and from programs as required.
- Encourages, and motivates residents to participate in social, physical, mental and cultural recreational activities.
- Document program attendance, observes and reports any changes, via PPC on residents and to the supervisor of the department
- Ensures residents rights are maintained- through Resident Council
- Ensures recreational equipment and supplies are used, maintained and stored safely
- Provides guidance, assistance and support to volunteers.
- Completes assessment upon admission – collect relevant information for social/leisure history aimed primary at establishing recreation/leisure care plan.
- Prepare and complete Care Conference notes and attend Interdisciplinary Team Meeting
- Ability to organize, prioritize work and demostrate effective time management to meet deadlines
- Works as an innovative team member, keeping an open line of communication with other co-workers, departments
- Ability to adjust to new or unexpected events, problem solve and deal effectively with conflict
- Understand the use of documentation and outcome measures
- Supervise and provide direction to volunteers and students.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Grade 12 education A two year Recreation Diploma; or at a minimum with a Recreation/Activity one year Certificate.
- Experience in a senior’s focused environment preferred, Dementia training course an asset.
- Basic First Aid Certificate (Current).
- Food Safe Course or equivalent (Current).
- Valid Class 4 (Unrestricted) BC Driver’s License required for full time employment.
- Care Fit Certificate an asset
- Serving it Right (Current)
Skills, Attributes, Abilities:
- Respectful and courteous manner with residents, staff and families
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Strong computer skills in Excel, Word, Publisher
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
Compensation: $24.83. Prerequisite for hire: Criminal Record Check, TB Clearance/
Check us out at http://www.mennoplace.ca. We thank all applicants however will only be contacting short-listed candidates.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Casual
Salary: $24.83 /hour
- recreation: 1 year (Required)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)
- Abbotsford, BC (Preferred)
- 1 year Recreation Diploma (Preferred)
- Class 4 unrestricted (Preferred)