Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your initiative and demonstrate your strong communication and relationship building skills? If so, consider this opportunity to further enhance your career within the planning discipline. This challenging and rewarding opportunity requires knowledge of land use planning processes, experience with understanding and implementing planning legislation and policy, and environmental assessment requirements and landscape level project management.
These positions are located at 300 Water Street in Peterborough. However, due to COVID-19, remote work arrangements are currently in effect. The employer is willing to consider remote work arrangements beyond COVID-19. However, attendance at the office will be required from time to time or as needed.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Lead the input and review of land use and resource management policy documents, broad scale or landscape level projects, proposals and environmental assessment documents
- Provide planning and coordinating to integrated teams
- Deliver land use planning, resource management planning and environmental assessment advice and training to integrated project teams, and staff across the region
- Provide interpretation, explanation and advice to clients and stakeholders regarding Crown, municipal and resource management planning legislation, policy and procedures
- Consult with colleagues across the Ministry, external agencies, groups and individuals on broad scale or landscape level land use and resource management plans, projects, issues to develop strategies and achieve program results
- Prepare analysis, briefing notes, Minister's letters for senior management and support issues management
How do I qualify?
- You must possess a valid Ontario class 'G' driver's licence to travel throughout the region and to other locations outside the region as required
Analytical, Reasoning and Problem-Solving Skills
- Analytical skills to interpret, review and assess landscape resource management plans and broad scale projects/proposals, legislation, policies and plans
- Reasoning and problem-solving skills, to identify implications and facilitate resolution of impacts on Ministry business lines and provide recommendations and options
- Demonstrated knowledge of Crown and municipal land use planning, resource management planning, project level planning and environmental assessment
- Ability to interpret and apply relevant Crown and municipal land use and environmental assessment legislation, policies and directives
Interpersonal and Collaboration Skills
- Ability to negotiate, influence and reconcile diverse interests and perspectives of agencies, non-government organizations, proponents and the public to gain support for ministry positions or planning issues, on often complicated or sensitive matters
- Skills to work cooperatively to form effective working relationships and possess group leadership skills to support and provide guidance to integrated and diverse planning teams
Planning, Coordination and Project Management Skills
- Plan and coordinate large scale land use planning and regional resource use planning processes or projects
- Take initiative to proactively identify appropriate actions and prepare project plans, recommendations and proposals, with consideration of input from program specialists
- Well developed communication skills to provide explanations, advice, and guidance, discuss technical information and provide training
- Demonstrated ability to prepare planning documents, articulate recommendations and options, briefing materials, and corporate correspondence
2 Permanent, 300 Water St, Peterborough, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Lands and Resources
Thursday, June 18, 2020
Effective July 1, 2020, the correct salary range for this position will be $1,218.66 to $1,521.48 per week in compliance with current OPSEU collective agreement provisions.
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.