There are over 40,000 Indigenous people in our Nation’s Capital, and Wabano serves over 15,000 of them every year. While Wabano’s core business is health care, we are the cultural hub for Indigenous people in the National Capital Region. For over 20 years, Wabano has offered Elder teachings, youth culture camps, seniors’ home support, and homeless outreach to a diverse and growing Indigenous community.
In the last five years, Wabano has doubled in size and now has five robust departments creating and delivering unique services for every stage in the life cycle. With the growth, the need to engage with various stakeholders, including community members and the public at large, has become all the more pronounced. Wabano is now looking for an experienced communication professional to support these needs and create strategies to disseminate information.
You are the right person for this role if you understand processes and people and how they work in tandem for service excellence. You thrive on creativity and are well-versed with social media and content creation. But most of all, you have the passion and drive to make a difference.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Specialist will oversee the organization’s communication strategies and activities. We will rely on you to:
1. Develop and implement an internal and external communications plan that engages the Indigenous community, stakeholders, partners, and donors effectively
2. Develop print and online material and manage email marketing
3. Manage media relations, including creation of press releases
The successful candidate will be responsible to:
- Lead communication efforts and support the design, development, delivery and management of communications
- Work collaboratively with the management team and other stakeholders to develop and implement an effective internal and external communications strategy
- Actively come up with strategies to increase awareness of the organization’s successes, projects and accomplishments, which includes the regular use of social media platforms
- Promote a positive image of the organization and strategically handle any situations that may pose a risk to the organization’s reputation
- Maintain the website and build engaging content
- Write promotional materials, articles, publications and other communication materials as required
- Craft key messages that are appropriate for various target audiences
- Take a leadership role in internal communication to maintain/enhance employee relations and inform them of issues, initiatives and events that impact them
- Provide advice to senior management on all communication matters
- Apply change management process and tools to create and execute a strategy to support the roll-out and adoption of the changes
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a person with a background in communications to make an impact. You may not meet all the qualifications, however, what we are primarily looking for is diversity of thought in corporate processes.
Specific requirements include:
- Post-secondary degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in public relations and internal communications
- Experience in creating and implementing communication strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and writing ability, with the ability to craft correspondence that is appropriate for various audiences (writing samples must be provided)
- Experience using Word Press (or similar software) and various social media platforms
- Understanding of Indigenous culture and teachings
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings
- Professional with excellent time management skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Openness and ability to work collaboratively with a team
$70,000- $75,000 + benefits
Why Work for Us:
You would be a part of an Accredited organization with a collaborative and supportive work environment. Additionally, you would have access to:
- Comprehensive Group Health and Dental Insurance Coverage
- A Defined Benefit Pension Plan/ Employee Pension Plan with an equal contribution by Wabano (HOOPP)
- An Employee Assistance Program
Please submit your application by October 03, 2021 to email@example.com. Application materials should include a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample(s).
Wabano is an inclusive and equitable organization, encouraging applications from qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. The position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference will be given to candidates of Indigenous ancestry (please self-identify in your application).
Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Miigwetch (thank you in Ojibwe) for your application and interest in Wabano.
Application Deadline: October 3, 2021
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org