Are you seeking opportunities to make a meaningful difference with an organization committed to protecting public health and the environment? Are you an experienced education professional with an applied understanding of adult learning and instructional design in an industry or employer setting?Do you love engaging in the education development process? We are looking for the right individual to take our education programs to the next level.
The BC Water & Waste Association (BCWWA) has an immediate opening for an interim (up to 18 months) Education Manager. The Education Manager is responsible for the design, development, delivery, evaluation and maintenance of the Association’s education programs, aimed at ensuring the BC/Yukon region has a competent and sustainable water sector workforce. The incumbent ensures that the Association has high quality education programs that meet the needs and expectations of learners and their employers, and positions the Association as the leading professional development organization for the water sector in BC and the Yukon.
The Education Manager provides leadership for program development, implementation and performance. The Education Manager reports to the CEO, manages one program coordinator and up to 20 contractors, coordinates activities with other managers, and develops external relationships with customers and vendors.
- Oversee the full-cycle curriculum design and maintenance process of BCWWA education programs.
- Collaborate with staff to ensure courses are smoothly delivered.
- Manage the Operator and Professional Education Programs delivering training using online, in-class, and on-site delivery formats.
- Manage program coordination staff to ensure that courses run smoothly and meet the needs of learners and instructors.
- Recruit, train, develop and manage performance of program staff and contracted instructors/facilitators.
- Provide education leadership to volunteer-led workshop development.
- Identify, negotiate, and manage agreements with suitable external training partners (when appropriate); ensure partner training solutions are consistent with BCWWA’s standards and meet the needs of the learner.
- Maintain positive, collaborative professional relationships with external organizations involved in certification and water systems training.
- Develop and manage the annual budget for BCWWA education programs.
- Post-secondary education with specialization in training, instructional design, performance instruction, adult education or equivalent experience, ideally in an industry or employer setting.
- 5 to 7+ years of experience in progressively responsible training and development roles, designing and creating learning-based training curriculum/materials for adult learners, including e-learning program experience.
- Solid understanding of adult learning principles and design methodologies, and demonstrated experience in training needs analysis and instructional design, including experience with online learning tools and methods.
- Demonstrated ability to develop operational plans and budgets, and financial business cases for education programs.
- Proficient in MS Office software, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Adobe Captivate experience an asset.
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Strong leadership capabilities – is forward looking and visionary; deals honestly and fairly with others; sets a positive example, creates followers; shares credit for successes, accepts responsibility for failures.
- Exceptional people management skills – able to inspire and motivate staff, set clear goals, articulate expectations, and hold people accountable for results.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – listens and understands, able to effectively share ideas and build buy-in.
- Strong project management & planning skills – always prepared, anticipates what is needed; able to guide projects from inception to completion, including the ability to plan, execute, and monitor progress toward achieving organizational goals; ability to allocate and manage staff resources, develop and monitor budgets, deliver projects on schedule and within budget.
- Effective problem-solving skills and sound judgement – able to accurately assess a situation and respond appropriately; able to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement solutions; comfortable with change and ambiguity.
- Exceptional attention to detail – driven to always get it “right”, takes pride in accuracy.
- Takes initiative – takes action; results oriented and likes to get things done!
- Strong business acumen – astute about the impact of external trends on the organization; able to adjust to and drive change.
- Ability to wear multiple hats, multi-task and manage competing priorities; excellent time management capabilities; stays calm and focused under pressure.
- Ability to work independently while ensuring that work is coordinated with the rest of the team.
- Self-motivated – brings a positive “can do” attitude; strives for excellence.
The BC Water & Waste Association (BCWWA) is a not-for-profit organization that represents over 4,000 water professionals who are responsible for ensuring safe, sustainable and secure water, sewer and stormwater systems in BC and the Yukon. Our members work every day to keep our water systems clean and safe – from source to tap to drain and back to the environment. They include water and wastewater facility operators, utility managers, engineers, technicians and technologists, consultants, government policy and regulatory staff, backflow assembly testers and cross connection control specialists, researchers, and suppliers. The Association delivers professional development, education, certification, and advocacy programs and services to ensure that our water systems continue to protect public health and the environment.
We have a bright, positive and engaged (but small) team. We value “getting the job done” but want to have some fun while we’re at it! Our office is located in Burnaby within a 15-minute walk of Gilmore skytrain station.
Interested in Applying?
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining how your experience matches the role.
Job Type: Contract
- Developing curriculum/materials for adult learners: 5 years (Required)