Registered Nurse Job Description
VICTORIA EYE is a leading edge medical ophthalmology clinic and refractive & cataract surgery centre with local dedicated surgeons and a fantastic team. Our goal is to extend our position as the leading provider of ophthalmic care on Vancouver Island by continuously striving to deliver a leading edge standard of care, combined with compassionate, concierge level service.
We are searching for a Registered Nurse to join our team.
To define the qualifications, duties and responsibilities of Registered Nurses working in the Pre and Post-operative Care Area in order to provide a basis for individual performance appraisal/competence.
1. In collaboration with the health care team provides safe, competent, ethical and cost-effective nursing care to all patients in his/her care at VICTORIA EYE.
2. The Registered Nurse will use the nursing process to collect data, overall assessment, determination of client status, care planning, interventions and care evaluation.
3. The Registered Nurse will be knowledgeable of and apply current standards of nursing practice to his/her practice at all times.
4. The Registered Nurse will work in collaboration with the Monitored Care RN when caring for patients receiving IV Sedation.
5. The Registered Nurse is responsible for keeping informed of policies and procedures in effect at VICTORIA EYE
6. The Registered Nurse is responsible to maintain his/her knowledge and competence regarding emergency protocols in place at VICTORIA EYE.
7. The Registered Nurse is engaged in the quality improvement program and provides input into the improvement of systems for patient care.
8. When working with LPN’s, Technicians or other unregulated personnel, delegate and oversee tasks to these staff members within their scope of practice, role description and training as defined by VICTORIA EYE
a. The responsibility for the practice of nursing cannot be delegated
b. Unregulated care providers are neither registered nor licensed by a regulatory body
c. A delegated task is part of a client care function that has clearly defined limits and may be either a restricted activity or a nursing activity that is not a restricted activity
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Registered Nurse in the Pre-operative & Post-operative Care Area is expected to:
1. Review, identify and assess the physical and emotional status of the patient when doing the pre-operative assessment and inform the surgical team of any problems prior to the procedure.
2. Provide the patient/family with physical and emotional comfort measures specific to their needs.
3. Complete the Pre-operative Checklist to ensure the consent is informed, signed and witnessed; the patient understands the procedure they are having performed, has no further questions.
4. Complete the patient identification procedure, determine the presence of allergies and response to allergens and verify the surgical site with the patient.
5. Ensure the patient has a responsible adult to take them home and stay with them for the next 24 hours. Obtain their contact information. Notify the surgeon if this isn’t in place.
6. Take initial vital signs including glucometer reading if the patient is a type 1 or 2 diabetic.
7. Begin the procedural preparation as per the surgeon’s orders, for example, administration of sedatives as necessary, eye drops, start a saline lock for IV Sedation, ensure the patient has visited the washroom. Work collaboratively with the Monitor Care RN for patients having IV Sedation.
8. Provide legally required acts such as managing narcotic and controlled drugs and documentation according to established standards, policies and procedures.
9. Complete the pre-operative documentation in the chart up to the time the patient enters the OR.
10. Handover care to the laser technician when the patient is ready to go into the procedure room.
11. Handover care to the circulating nurse when the patient is ready to go into the OR.
12. Receive hand over information for the patient from the Circulating Nurse when the procedure is complete.
13. Apply knowledge of Routine Practices and Special Precautions to practice at all times and ensure compliance by all members of the health care team, staff and visitors.
14. Check the patient’s vital signs, level of consciousness, airway and assess for any signs of discomfort. Complete the Aldrete Score form.
15. Administer any medications ordered by the surgeon.
16. Offer nourishment
17. Provide post-operative teaching for the specific procedure with the patient and their responsible adult. Have them sign the instructions and keep the original in the chart. Provide patient/responsible adult with a copy to take home if they do not have one already provided.
18. Discharge patient from facility when Modified Aldrete Score on all 7 criteria are 12 or greater.
19. Complete documentation.
20. Ensure patients are assessed and managed in a timely fashion to ensure high quality patient care and maintain timely case turnover by:
a. facilitating the Laser Fast-Tracking Protocol
b. transfer patients in and out of the operating room and participate in the surgical safety checklist.
21. At the end of the day, audit charts, and ensure missed signatures are obtained before end of shift. Complete all late entry documentation after day of surgery and list in the Chart Audit Log book.
Qualifications: Education, Training and Experience:
1. Graduation from a recognized Registered Nursing Program.
2. Current Licensure with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia
3. Current certification in BLS or within 2 years CPR level C HCP
4. Possess IV therapy skills
5. Two years recent related experience in a Peri-anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) and/or Day Care Surgical Unit of an acute care hospital, or have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
2. Ability to deal with others effectively.
3. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
4. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
5. Ability to organize work
6. Ability to operate related equipment and instrumentation
BCCNP Standards for Perioperative Registered Nursing Practice 13th Edition – April 2017