The BI Manager is responsible for bringing to life the digital transformation within the Strategy, Insights, and Planning (SPI) function at BAT Canada. The BI Manager sets the vision, develops and leads the Business Intelligence strategy and plan focusing on accelerating the digital transformation to drive commercial value, in alignment with corporate marketing goals. Integrating new capabilities and developing people & establishing the technology ecosystem that leads to insights and foresight, delivering competitive advantage for BAT is the main KPI.
He/she understands, analyses and can translate business imperatives into actionable insights. He/she leads a team of Data Scientists, Architects and Analysts. KPI’s include, maintaining a stable and data integrity BAU of current reporting needs, leads the POS performance data gathering and communication process, leads data analytics practice to solve business imperatives, leverages digital technology and automation to increase productivity and effectiveness, develops graphical/dashboarding products for greater self-serve capability, and embarks on machine learning & AI for predictive analytics, all to continuously evolve the BI maturity levels to the gold standard – actionable insights.
He or she will lead a team of 6-8 people from BI Associate Managers and BI analysts, specializing in Data Science, Data Engineers, Data Analysts, digital and visualization experts, and work with outside suppliers to shape the current & future needs of the organization.
- Understand, analyze and master business requirements to lead shaping the delivery of BI deliverables
- Partners with business leaders across the organization to define and deliver reporting needs
- Ensures OTIF delivery and accuracy of POS reporting both locally and globally
- Leads the team to design and develop new BI solutions such as big data analytics, graphical mastery, machine learning, and artificial intelligence (NLP)
- Engages and inspires BI team to deliver on BI projects OTIF with quality and effectiveness to deliver ROI.
- Works with SP&I analysts to deliver both insight and foresight capabilities via the new BI tools.
- Partners with IT to prioritize IT resources and prioritization.
- Leads communication and embedding of BI Strategy and plan across Marketing
- Continually looks for ways to streamline and automate reporting, ensuring a self-serve culture
- Ensures the data integrity of all BI tools and products across Marketing.
- Leads and manages the identification, selection and business case preparation for new tools or resources required to continue to advance dashboard, scorecard, report and data usage
- Develops an organizational data training & capability calendar to increase DQ across Marketing
- Leads and develops capacity and capability with direct reports and Analysts across the organization
- Chairs the BI Steering Committee for all BI Projects with Head of Divisions
- Coaches direct reports to turn talent into performance for BAT.
- Develop and Manage a budget of around 4M annually effectively/efficiently to deliver a ROI for BAT.
- Able to understand and shape business requirements/analytics to lead team to deliver actionable insights to the organization, to support delivery of our marketing/corporate objectives on volume, share, profit.
- Lead digital technology and automation across marketing that delivers data and insights faster and easier
- Champion the team to develop visualization/graphical mastery and dashboarding solutions that transform “mountains of data” into visualizations that provoke action and spark decision making
- Lead the team to develop a data analytics practice, machine learning/AI capabilities to develop predictive and data modeling frameworks that identify new potential market dynamics and causal relationships to deliver both insight & foresight.
- Establish the vision for D2C analytical capabilities and champion the vision internally Ensure Data Architecture that supports Transforming Tobacco, data governance and integrity of all data & BI Tools.
- Lead the team to develop user centric solutions that build value added propositions that enable understanding of the forces at play, new business dynamics and potential causal relationships to deliver actionable insights.
- Ensure POS Process is managed and led effectively for minimal disruptions and feeds constant pulse on performance.
- Partner with IT to develop, build and manage data warehouse interfaces and self-serve BI environments of the future for both local and global
- Engage senior leaders to champion BI plan and strategy.
- Deliver clear and concise communications on BI strategy, plan and projects by mastering storytelling framework to inspire stakeholder buy-in
- Lead innovation for evolving BI maturity to inspire/provoke action.
- Influence and collaborate with stakeholders at both local and global levels to ensure Canada’s BI strategy and execution raises the bar for the BAT group and is best in class.
- Find and cultivate relationships with external thought leaders and agile suppliers to explore new innovative ways to deliver BI performance for BAT.
- Provide leadership and strategies to attract highly qualified associates while coaching and developing current team for retention and performance purposes
- Actively engage BI team to raise the bar on personal development plans, to stay ahead of BI trends globally and ensure fit for future capabilities.
- Bachelor's\Master’s degree in Information Technology, Mathematics, Data Science, Marketing, Business Administration with specialization in IT/Data Science or related fields.
- 8-10 years of relevant experience in leading a BI team and Data Science professionals.
- Strong experience in DQ and able to deliver Digital Transformation and AI Strategy.
- Excellent understanding of statistics, familiarity with statistical tests, distributions, maximum likelihood estimators, etc. evaluating when different techniques are (or aren’t) a valid approach.
- Programming skills data science skills such as distributed computing, predictive modelling, story-telling and visualizing, Math, statistics and various forms of technological skills (R, SAS, Python, Matlab, SQL, Hive, Pig, Spark).
- Advanced Knowledge of Excel.
- Machine learning: Mastery of machine learning methods and be able to recommend.
- Strong background in artificial intelligence and decision systems.
- Excellent understanding of statistics, familiarity with statistical tests, distributions, maximum likelihood estimators, evaluating when different techniques are (or aren’t) a valid approach.
- High performing Analytical Capabilities: Ability to synthesize information, reduce complexity and identify key opportunities and insights.
- Excellent Communication Skills (both written and verbal): Able to deliver effective presentations and storytelling capabilities to stakeholders at all levels. Capability to zoom in / zoom out, to provide the right level of detail, depending on the needs of the user.
- Creative and critical thinking skills to shape BI strategy and plan.
- Design Thinking is an asset.
- Work Proficient in English, French is considered an asset.
- Strong balance of leadership & BI & Data Analytics knowledge.
- Able to build a strategy while leading/shaping a team of 6 individuals.
Behavioral Success Criteria:
- Leaderships skills: Able to manage and get the best out of a team of diverse individuals and profiles from Marketeers, Computer programmers, Engineers, Data Scientists etc.
- Effective at Managing senior stakeholders to ensure they are engaged, aligned and champion BI.
- High EQ profile and coaching capabilities.
- Drive for results, guarantee quality and critical thinking to improve ways of working and performance.
- Able to work in fast paced environment, autonomously and work with ambiguity
- High personal resilience, flexible and adaptable to be able to work in a constantly changing environment.
- Positive attitude to deal with frequent challenge/adversity.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $129,000.00-$135,000.00 per year
- Dental Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- On-site Childcare
- On-site Gym
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- Work From Home
- leading a BI team and Data Science professionals: 8 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19