Join an Industry Leader!
Who is Norbord?
Norbord Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of wood-based panels and the world’s largest producer of oriented strand board (OSB). Norbord also manufactures particleboard, medium density fibreboard and related value-added products. Norbord has assets of approximately US$1.9 billion and employs approximately 2,700 people at 17 plant locations in the United States, Canada and Europe. Norbord is a publicly traded on the TSE and NYSE under the symbol “OSB”.
We have an immediate opening for the following position:
Senior Manager, Taxation - International
TORONTO, ONTARIO – CORPORATE OFFICE
As Senior Manager, Taxation you will report to and work closely with the Director, Taxation on a broad range of international tax initiatives and functions including planning, risk management, reporting, compliance, incentives, interpretation and monitoring of income, capital and sales tax legislative changes in multiple jurisdictions. You will be Norbord’s advocate in negotiating and influencing change amongst tax authorities, advisors, auditors and internal stakeholders. The Senior Manager, Taxation will also act as a tax resource to the business across functional teams and will lead and support continuous improvement initiatives around tax deliverables.
The Senior Manager, Taxation is accountable for delivering high quality work addressing taxation in a multi-national environment while working with cross-functional teams and ensuring compliance deadlines and other important dates are met. The accountabilities include:
- Monitoring tax developments and business changes in relevant jurisdictions and pro-actively analyzing impacts, recommending and executing modifications in existing structures and inter-company arrangements or establishing new arrangements, policies, practices while bearing in mind Norbord’s business model, financial statement risks, effect on ETR and global cash tax liability
- Optimizing tax attributes and incentives and their utilization to optimize cash taxes (i.e., discretionary temporary deductions, timing of realization of attributes, SR&ED, local ITCs)
- Collaborating with Treasury to ensure tax effective group financing and earnings repatriation
- Actively identifying tax risks and opportunities in existing or new business transactions
- Creating, managing and maintaining all transfer pricing related documentation globally
- Reviewing IFRS tax provisions and global tax forecasts and providing value-added analysis in managing consolidated tax provisions, uncertain tax positions and external reporting requirements compliant with SOX
- Pro-actively working with finance team to ensure legal entity focused accounting supporting transactions allowing tax filings to be prepared efficiently and correctly
- Reviewing all corporate income tax filings
- Assisting with responding to queries and positions from government auditors, proactively managing tax controversy and negotiating in support of Norbord positions
- Managing indirect taxes in Canada and the US
- Leading or supporting continuous improvement initiatives around tax processes to achieve efficient delivery of tax functions, without compromise to quality and internal controls, using recent technology-based solutions applied to tax functions
The ideal candidate is forward-thinking, pro-active and possesses a strong and broad understanding of corporate taxation in multiple jurisdictions gained via hands on experience in planning, implementing and defending advanced tax aspects of transactions. They should also possess:
- At least 5-7 years of tax experience in a multi-national company or major accounting firm
- Strong project management skills to juggle multiple priorities, advisors, and changing demands with demonstrated ability to perform and manage to short deadlines
- Ability to communicate in a clear, simple and engaging way, collaborate and interface with global cross-functional teams and to establish positive working relationships
- Interest in learning and understanding business issues to maximize personal effectiveness
- Positive can-do disposition, able to anticipate needs and is service and detail-oriented
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to implement processes and procedures to help create efficiencies including harnessing technology adapted for tax processes (e.g. Longview or OneSource Tax Platform, workflow management tools, etc.)
What we offer!
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Career development
- Health benefits
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto, with easy access to transit
- And a whole lot more!
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will only contact candidates selected to advance in the recruitment process.
Job Type: Full-time