Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
$197,300 to $246,400
For further information on the organization, please visit Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
18 February 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
This position is accountable for the supervision of all federally regulated Property and Casualty Insurance Companies in Canada. The position directs and oversees a division that is seen as the centre of expertise for OSFI with respect to the P&C insurance industry (all lines of insurance other than life insurance). This position is responsible for providing strategic and operational advice to OSFI internally as well as represent OSFI with external stakeholders and contribute to regulatory policy. This position will be called upon to step in for the Assistant Superintendent, as required, and to liaise with Sector Heads.
Who we are:
The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) is an independent agency of the Government of Canada, established in 1987 to contribute to the safety and soundness of the Canadian financial system. OSFI supervises and regulates federally registered banks and insurers, trust and loan companies, as well as private pension plans subject to federal oversight.
What OSFI offers:
OSFI is a separate agency that offers a competitive salary and eligibility for performance pay annually. People are the foundation of our organisation. You will become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone has varied experience and fosters an environment where communication and teamwork amplify our effectiveness. Working at OSFI offers the following:
Who you are:You should possess the following attributes:
- Mandate: the work you do at OSFI matters. Your efforts contribute to the safety and soundness of the Canadian Financial Sector promoting competition and benefiting all Canadians.
- Learning & Development: our organisation understands that ongoing learning and development is critical and must evolve with developments in the Financial Sector. Learning and Development is a fundamental element in achieving our mandate and a key component of our Human Capital Strategy.
- Community & Culture: we strive to create a working environment that allows employees to work to their fullest potential. We strive to promote employee wellbeing, including a focus on balancing work and personal needs. Where circumstances warrant, we offer opportunities for flexible working arrangements.
- Benefits: As a Federal Government Agency, OSFI offers a number of competitive benefits to its employees, including a Defined Benefit Pension Plan, comprehensive health and dental plans that extend into retirement, maternity and parental leave benefits, vacation (4 weeks), personal and family leave days.
- You are forward looking and strive to foresee emerging risks and plan to address them before they manifest.
- You continually strive to develop your knowledge and understanding of insurance risk principles.
- You are keenly interested in contributing your expertise to promote a safer financial system.
- You are an individual with extensive experience in financial services or financial regulation and supervision with risk management perspective for the P&C industry with exposure to the life insurance industry.
- You have sound knowledge of the current and emerging risks in the insurance industry.
- You know the techniques used in the measurement and management of current and emerging risks.
- You collaborate well with others.
- Your critical thinking skills help to inform your decision-making.
- You have a proven track record of successful leadership.
Intent of the process
This selection process may be used to establish a pool of qualified candidates, which could be used to staff similar or identical positions with various linguistic profiles and requirements, security profiles and various tenures.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- A degree from a post-secondary institution with specialization in business, commerce, economics, finance, mathematics, actuarial science, accounting or a relevant field OR an acceptable combination of education and/or professional industry experience.
- Recent and significant experience at the executive level working within the Property and Casualty insurance industry in one of the following areas: finance, risk management, actuarial or other relevant areas AND/OR recent and significant supervisory/regulatory experience in the insurance industry at the executive level.
- Recent and significant experience dealing with complex risk management issues requiring extensive analysis, policy development and/or development of solution/resolution recommendations.
- Recent and significant experience in managing teams and/or leading, developing, coaching and/or training staff.
- Recent and significant experience as a member of a senior management team providing input into strategic issues affecting the organization.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of current and emerging risk management trends/issues as they relate to the Property and Casualty Insurance companies.
- Knowledge of the financial and/or non-financial risk indicators, and the information and techniques used in the measurement and management of those risks.
Leadership Role Model
- Collaboration: Sharing a community mindset, promoting cohesion and breaking down barriers.
- Agility: Adapting to environmental complexities through innovation.
- Transparency: Cultivating an open and trustworthy culture within the organization.
- Integrity: Stepping up to the obligations of leadership with authenticity.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
In addition to the Essential Qualifications identified above, please provide details if you possess one or more of the following Asset Education and Asset Experience criteria identified below.
- A graduate degree from a post-secondary institution with specialization in finance, accounting, actuarial science, economics, business, mathematics.
- A professional designation such as CPA, FCIA, CFA or other relevant designations.
You may be required to meet a combination of any of these asset experience criteria:
- Recent and significant experience at the executive level working within the life insurance industry in one of the following areas: finance, risk management, actuarial or other relevant areas.
- Extensive experience in presenting to executive-level management and/or the Board.
- Experience in a second line function, a central support function or multiple lines of business in the financial sector or in financial sector regulation and supervision.
- Knowledge of OSFI’s mandate, mission and values, and its legal and regulatory frameworks.
- In-depth knowledge of existing and emerging Canadian regulatory requirements and international developments as they relate to accounting, valuation of liabilities, capital and/or risk management.
- Knowledge of the businesses, products, issues and challenges facing the P&C Insurance industry both domestically and internationally.
- Knowledge of emerging risks affecting the P&C industry and recommended strategies to address those issues including the impact of International Accounting Standards and Reporting, particularly as they relate to risk management.
- Developing Others
- Results Orientation
- Building Business Relationships
- Impact and Influence
- Critical Thinking
- Excellent Oral Communication Skills
- Excellent Written Communication Skills
In order to meet the organization’s employment equity objectives in support of a diversified workforce, ‘right fit’ selection for this position may be made from among qualified candidates who self-declare as being Persons with a disability or Aboriginal peoples.
Travel may be required.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
Agreement to be deployed to another REX position within OSFI at the same level
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Internal employees of OSFI at the same group and level may be considered and offered a deployment or assignment before considering other applicants.
For this selection process, it is our intention to communicate with candidates via email. Candidates must include a valid email address in their application. It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure accurate information is provided and updated as required. As a result you must update your personal information on your Public Service Resourcing System profile if it changes.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate using sufficient details, how they meet the education and experience factors listed under the essential qualifications, as well as any of the asset qualifications that are applicable, including timelines of when this experience was gained (please indicate month and year). Lack of DETAILS may result in your application being rejected as the Assessment Board may have insufficient information to determine whether you meet the qualifications.
SCREENING QUESTIONS (if applicable):
It is the responsibility of the candidate to clearly outline that they meet each of the screening criteria (i.e. Education and Experience Qualifications, both Essential and Assets) by RESPONDING TO THE SCREENING QUESTIONS IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION. Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that the requirement is met or to provide a listing of current responsibilities, rather the candidate must provide concrete examples that illustrate how they meet the requirement. Your resume will be used to validate the answers provided; therefore, it should also contain sufficient details regarding your education and experience.
REFERENCE CHECKS/PERFORMANCE REVIEWS:
As part of the assessment, reference checks may be sought and candidates may be required to submit their performance reviews. For internal candidates of the Public Service, the Assessment Committee reserves the right to contact the internal candidates’ current manager(s).
Your application may be used to assess written communication.
The following options may be used at any stage of the selection process in the determination of those to be given further consideration: random selection, top down selection, or meeting any asset qualifications.
An assignment/secondment or an acting appointment requires approval of your supervisor.
OSFI is a separate agency with its own classification and compensation system. OSFI's staffing is subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA).
The client organization will accept applications on-line only. All job applications must therefore be submitted through the Public Service Resourcing System. To submit an application on-line, please select the button 'Apply online' below. Persons with disabilities preventing them from applying on-line are asked to contact 1-800-645-5605.
Applicants with disabilities:
If you require special accommodation at any stage in the selection process, including technical aid to ensure an equitable assessment of your qualifications, please inform us by sending an e-mail to the following address Toronto.HR@osfi-bsif.gc.ca.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.