WaterBridge Equipment Inc.
Box 715 Francois Lake, BC V0J 1R0
Telephone: 250-695-6491 Fax: 250-695-6305 web: www.waterbridge.org
Marine Deckhand, Auxiliary Position Available - Francois Lake Ferry Terminal
At WaterBridge, we believe that people are the core of our business. We are proud to offer our employees a positive work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits. When you are a member of the
WaterBridge team, you enjoy a stable career where your ideas are encouraged and skills valued. We are proud to say that we promote from within and have internal programs and educational opportunities to assist you in your career aspirations. We offer a worksite in one of the prettiest areas in the country to live and work. If you are an avid outdoor person you can ski, sled, bike and hike in some of the best natural areas in British Columbia.
Who we are:
WaterBridge Group is a privately-owned ship building and ferry operator company based in British Columbia,
Canada. The team specializes in building vessels in remote sites, under difficult environmental conditions and with limited access to industrial infrastructure. We are also responsible for the safe ferry passage of people in the communities of Arrow Lakes and Burns Lake, BC. Our ferry crews are Transport Canada trained and certified. We are a dedicated team working in a fast-paced environment with a focus on customer service and quality workmanship. We pride ourselves on the impact we make to the local economies we build and operate in.
Who you are:
You have a friendly personality with the ability to work professionally and expediently at a fast pace while maintaining a calm demeanor. Through your natural leadership style, you can keep happy travelers happy, while they ride the ferry. With safety a priority, you have an eagle eye for potentially dangerous situations that can happen when working on a large open water vessel. Even when circumstances impact the ferry schedule you are focused on friendly customer service and keeping the traffic controlled and organized.
Under the immediate direction of a licensed officer, the Deckhand performs general ferry operational duties with the focus on passenger and crew safety. The duties include loading and unloading passengers and vehicles and the routine maintenance of the vessel and deck equipment. You are required to answer questions from the traveling public, alert the vessel officers to any potential problems and advise drivers of Transport Canada
- Directs vehicles and passengers during loading and unloading in a safe, efficient and courteous manner, including the checking of vehicles to ensure that they comply with the dangerous cargo regulations
- Assists in the berthing and un-berthing of the vessel by handling the necessary mooring lines, ramps and other terminal equipment
- Accurate record keeping
- Assists in maintaining good order and discipline while transporting passengers, including the carrying out of security patrols
- Meets and deals with the public in a diplomatic and courteous manner, maintaining a positive attitude toward WaterBridge Equipment Inc. and the Ministry of Transportation, Marine Branch.
- Performs all phases of shipboard maintenance, including chipping, painting, washing and general cleaning, involving the use of chemicals, solvents and cleaners
- Operates and carries out routine maintenance on deck machinery, such as winches and davits
- Services and maintains passenger and crew facilities, including spaces and heads.
- Participates in, and is able to operate all safety equipment including firefighting, lifeboat, life raft, anchor, and other emergency related equipment.
- Checks and secures ships stores and supplies
- Removes snow and ice from vessels, ramps, and terminals.
- Maintains good ships’ husbandry throughout the vessel
- Painting and maintaining overall vessel appearance
- May perform Helmsman’s duties, including steering the ship, maintaining compass courses, and understanding and complying with steering orders.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- STCW Basic Safety or Domestic Vessel Safety Certification an asset. Suitable candidates may be offered paid training and must be able to travel for schooling
- Must provide a valid Marine Medical Certificate prior to start date
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card- an asset
- Must hold a valid BC Driver’s License – Class 5
- Minimum Grade 12 Graduation Certificate required
- Working knowledge of marine operations an asset
- Experience working with the public in a customer service capacity
- Ability to interact effectively and courteously with others
- Are a team player with an approachable demeanor
- Good written and oral communication skills a must
- Demonstrated ability to respond to emergency situations calmly, effectively and efficiently
- This position can be physically demanding
- Must be comfortable working out of doors in various weather conditions
- Note: This position is offered as an Auxiliary position and is considered “as and when required” with no guarantee of hours. You are required to be on call from one shift (1 day) to seven shifts (7 days) at a time with as little as 12 hours’ notice. Basic accommodation is available and travel to the point of assembly is at your own cost. The position is best suited for someone living in the area or planning to relocate.
Posting is open from May 10 – 24,2022 Send a resume and cover letter.
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. WaterBridge Group is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: From $27.39 per hour
To protect passengers and crews; vaccinations are highly encouraged
Application deadline: 2022-05-24