Kelowna - UBC Okanagan
BCGEU OK Clerical
Support Services Asst II
Customer Service Coordinator
UBCO - AVP Students
UBCO - Athletics & Recreation
Desired Start Date:
This position provides support to the Athletics and Recreation Department by overseeing the operations of the Recreation Facility Customer Service Desk, coordinating Athletics & Recreation facility bookings, and assisting the department with administrative duties under delegated authority of the Campus Recreation Manager. This position is responsible for the hiring, training, scheduling and supervision of all Customer Service Desk student staff, all student staffing Human Resources (HR) and payroll form completion and submission, facility booking & scheduling, assisting with facility, department, sport club, and varsity event hosting and venue preparation, as well as, assisting with summer camp operations.
This position directly reports to the Campus Recreation Manager and works in collaboration with the Recreation Coordinator and Facility and Operations Coordinator to ensure smooth, daily operations of facility, Recreation, sport club and varsity programs. The position directly supervises all Customer Service Desk & Hangar Fitness Centre student staff and assists with the supervision and staffing process of all department student staff.
1. Oversees the general operations of the Customer Service Desk by carrying out the following:
- Provides accurate, courteous and professional service to all customer contacts within the Athletics and Recreation department and ensures all student/casual staff are doing the same.
- Uses ActiveNet in the most efficient and productive manner, properly training frontline staff to help with business processes including but not limited to: maintaining a working knowledge of how to process memberships, completing program registrations, locker sales and assignments, POS sales, merchandise sales, equipment loans, etc.
- Acts as an ActiveNet System Administrator, enters, maintains and evaluates memberships, POS sales, locker sales, basic equipment inventory, etc.
- Prepares facility cash deposits and reconciliations; processes and reconciles regular cash deposits, ensures day end bank deposits are complete and accurate, and maintains accurate floats.
- Ensures the accuracy of all cash management operations and making recommendations for policy and/or procedure changes where appropriate.
- Communicates with UBCIT & UBC Treasury to ensure all PCI compliance policies are adhered to & develops staff training, oversees operations and makes policy and/or procedure changes when appropriate.
- Ensures current Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) safety standards are met with regards to chemical handling/use/storage and ensures all current staff members are trained and follow proper safety procedures.
- Relays any necessary information reported to the customer service desk to the appropriate channel.
- Oversees any facility services that fall within the Customer Service Center including, but not limited to: massage and physiotherapy appointments, towel and uniform laundry, managing and ordering cleaning supplies, etc.
- Ensures the general tidiness of the facilities by assigning and managing daily tasks to the Customer Service Desk staff.
- Answers telephone, in-person and email inquiries and dealing with any customer complaints, issues or requests that are outside the scope of student staff duties.
- Performs Customer Service Desk duties as required.
- Prepares reports with regards to staff budget requirements and membership/program utilization and revenue/expenses for budget preparations.
2. Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling and supervising the facility student staff by:
3. Coordinates Facilities Schedule and Bookings by:
- Participates in panel interviews for hiring student staff and makes recommendations for hire based on established criteria
- Ensures the completion of paperwork required for hiring and termination of department student staff.
- Responsible for the general cleanliness and tidiness of Athletics and Recreation facilities and organizes/allocates work and duties to student staff.
- Handles any problems or queries concerning daily routine and procedures.
- Ensures the accuracy and timely completion of payroll and all HR related forms for all department student staff.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the student staff training manual.
- Trains, schedules and supervises 35-40 student staff.
4. Assists the Athletics and Recreation Department by:
- Works in conjunction with the needs of the intramurals, recreation and varsity programs as well as with other university or external rental groups.
- Acts as the primary contact for all facility bookings.
- Coordinates all the processes required for Facility rental including: booking space , contract negotiation, on-site management, coordinating setup or equipment requirements, ensuring that policies and procedures are clearly explained, initiating client billing, managing online cash deposits and reconciliations, and acting as liaison with other staff members regarding impacts of larger scale bookings.
- Acts as liaison with internal and external facility users/renters to clarify usage requirements and facility policy and ensuring smooth operations and compliance.
- Creates, maintains and distributes facility schedules, including assisting with the creating of the varsity practice schedule
- Provides back-up/assistance for scheduling of Nonis Field, including scheduling lights on InSight Program.
- Responsible for the processing and data entry into ActiveNet registration software for rental bookings and payments.
- Corresponds with custodial services when necessary to arrange additional/adequate facility cleanliness.
- Works with varsity coaches and Events Coordinator to ensure proper support and service is provided to practices and game day operations.
- Works closely with the Facility and Operations Coordinator to report and confirm repairs and ensure all facilities are clean and safe at all times.
- Assists the Recreation Manager & Coordinator with operations and administration of summer camp, sport club and intramural operations.
- Assists with Department events.
- Assists other department members by carrying out general clerical/administrative duties, including bookings for massage, athletics therapy and sport medicine appointments.
- Occasionally provides relief coverage and/or administrative assistance to the Facility and Operations Coordinator, or Recreation Manager when necessary (including scheduling assistance, student staff management, administrative assistance, etc. when regular employee is absent or needs assistance).
- Ensures proper fall protection policies and procedures are carried out when supervising staff on bleacher operations.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
Under the direct supervision of the Recreation Manager, and working alongside the Recreation Coordinator, this position provides supervision to department student staff. Guidance and final decision making will be that of the Recreation Coordinator and, ultimately the Manager, but decisions related directly to Customer Service operations and bookings will essentially be that of the Customer Service Coordinator.
Supervision includes scheduling and assigning work to student staff and has input into personnel matters. (This position will supervise approximately 35-40 students at 10 hours per week.)
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Errors in staff scheduling could result in inappropriate staffing levels. Errors in payroll could result in staff not being paid appropriately or in a timely manner. Lack of proper or incorrect supervision of student staff could result in poor customer service, incorrect facility maintenance procedures, errors in cash handling, and insufficient understanding of safety and first aid procedures. Additionally, this person is heavily involved in the cash handling and accounting of all sales that are transacted at the Customer Service Center. This person will be responsible for the hiring and supervision of the student/casual staff who cyclically are dealing with large sales volumes. The incumbent's judgment of character and ability to assess the work of others is paramount in ensuring that this program remains sustainable.
In being responsible for facilities bookings (gymnasium, Hangar studios, and, at times, Nonis field & other outdoor facilities), this position is vitally important to the daily operations of one of the most heavily used facilities on campus. A high standard of customer service, attention to detail, and responsibility of ensuring all risk/liability standards are adhered to when dealing with bookings is very important. This position interacts with in person and in writing with members of the community as well as various on-campus users
Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent and two years' post-secondary education in Office Administration; minimum two years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Fall protection training and WHIMIS certification are preferred. . - Familiarity with set-up of volleyball, basketball, badminton, soccer and other recreation equipment would be an asset.
- Ability to work from heights and with cleaning products/chemicals as required.
- Knowledge of team sports, accounting procedures and inventory control is required.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Access and Excel).
- Experience in web page maintenance, desktop publishing and ActiveNet software is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate courteously and effectively in person, in writing and over the telephone with students, staff and user groups.
- Some evenings or weekends, with notice, may be required.
- Ability to consistently demonstrate respect, dignity and integrity in interpersonal relationships and to consistently demonstrate positive personal coping and wellness strategies.
- Ability to share information in an effective, respectful and collaborative manner.
- Ability to function effectively independently and in team situations within and across departments as well as with other organizations to achieve optimal collective results.
- Ability to achieve positive outcomes by encouraging, supporting, coaching, developing and mentoring others. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in technical and job knowledge aspects of the position to achieve a high level of performance. A commitment to personal life-long learning.
- Thorough understanding of providing exceptional customer service and the ability to empower others to do so.
- Experience in staff training is an asset.
- Demonstrated conflict-resolution skills.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.