JJM Construction is one of British Columbia’s leading heavy civil and marine construction contractors. Building on a foundation of safety, quality and performance, JJM is committed to innovation and environmental stewardship—pushing the industry forward while remaining mindful of the planet. JJM has been COR certified through the BC Construction Safety Alliance since 2004.
Managing heavy civil projects on both land and water, JJM has the experience, resources, and management capability to ensure the safe and successful completion of every job. Our strength is in mass and precision excavation and materials handling on land and water. We tackle projects large or small, simple or complex. We own and operate a large equipment fleet, always focusing on finding smarter and more creative ways to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
JJM is a well-established and family-owned enterprise with a reputation for delivering quality and value. We have a long history of working throughout Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest.
The Marine Superintendent represents the best interests of JJM Construction in the successful delivery of assigned marine projects. This position provides leadership to ensure the smooth functioning of day-to-day operations, implementing the field aspects of the project plan and schedule, including safety, quality control, and the delegation of work to field staff, trades and suppliers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Construction/Project Manager to develop work plans and methodologies; approve material; and manage activities, equipment, staff, materials and resources required by the project.
- Direct and coach the project team to ensure safe work practices, quality workmanship, sound work ethics, and manage productivity and schedules effectively.
- Ensures that projects are built according to approved plans, specifications and applicable codes and Project Environmental Management Plan.
- Review, maintain and provide a daily site report that includes the status of the construction schedule and ensures milestones and completion dates are met.
- Ensure that site safety measures meet or exceed the parameters set out by the JJM Occupational Health and Safety Manual, Project Health and Safety Plan, WorkSafeBC or any other authorities and meet the requirements for the job site.
- Oversee the care of on-site company vehicles, equipment and tools, including all rental items.
- Willing and able to work on projects at locations out of town and out of province.
- Willing to work additional hours as required.
- Willing and able to travel to meet the demands of the project.
- Able to perform physically demanding work may be required.
- Responsible for mentoring hourly workers.
Experience, Skills, Knowledge, Capabilities and Education
- Post-Secondary education in a related discipline, or a combination of technical training plus extensive experience/knowledge of construction, required.
- Minimum eight (8) years supervisory experience/knowledge of construction, civil preferred.
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills (Outlook, Word and Excel) and the ability to work in Microsoft Project and construction management/estimating software.
- Advanced knowledge of various construction disciplines.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- A solid understanding of cost control and budget management.
- A strong core value, understanding and approach to safety with a proven safety record.
- Proven ability to successfully manage job-site crews.
- Ability to lead and evaluate trade performance.
- Ability to manage project schedule and resources to meet project expectations and timelines.
- Ability to read and understand drawings, specifications and surveys.
- High standards for quality production and performance.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Results-oriented with a sense of urgency and motivated by success.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a clean driving record.
This is a permanent full-time position. JJM offers competitive compensation and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive and includes a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume and details to Gary Muuren, Director of Human Resources.
We appreciate your interest in working for JJM. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Heavy Civil/Marine Construction: 5 years (Required)