Assistant General Manager (Part time/Permanent)
Reporting to: General Manager
Status: Open ended contract – ongoing term
Under the direction and supervision of the General Manager, the Assistant General Manager will provide leadership to and assess the performance of all society functions.
Under the Supervision and Direction of the General Manager, the Assistant General Manager Will:
- Be a collaborative member of the team in an organization that prides it’s integration with its stakeholders.
- Work to complement the existing leadership team that currently serves the Board of Directors.
- Aspires for best professional practices.
- Take pride in the organization and faithfully serves its membership.
Coordinate with, recruit, and provide direction to, society volunteer teams. In addition to orienting and registering society volunteers, the Assistant General Manager will assist the:
- Food Bank Working Volunteer Group
- Any other teams established by the Society from time to time
Endeavor to diversify society revenue sources through the pursuit of fundraising opportunities for the society.
- Shall put forth proposals to the Green Fund at the start of each semester as needed;
- Seek out various grants and sponsorship opportunities;
- Be responsible in overseeing all fundraising initiatives
- Shall recommend the prudent management of funds raised
Execution of Student Led Organization (S.L.O.) Policy
Execute NUGSS policy respecting S.L.O.’s, as amended from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- Providing support to S.L.O.’s that wish to make an application to the Monetary Affairs commission (MAC);
- Organize two S.L.O. days annually;
- Recommend S.L.O. discipline to the NUGSS Board;
- Maintain a contact list of all S.L.O.’s;
- Conduct S.L.O. Hearings as they arise;
- Providing support to individuals that wish to become clubs;
- Assist NUGSS S.L.O.’s with financial responsibilities, including advising on keeping financial reporting obligations to membership;
- Meeting with S.L.O. representatives as needed.
In conjunction with the General Manager, ensure that various communication requirements and obligations to society stakeholders are upheld.
- Assume Leadership and maintain all portions of NUGSS website bi-weekly, including: The Monetary Affairs Commission, Governance Documents and information on the operation and finances of NUGSS;
- Monitor the student society world and provide reports on relevant developments;
- Assist the Board and Society Staff with media requests;
- Assist with marketing aspects of NUGSS events;
- Ensure the NUGSS website and social media platforms are updated with NUGSS events;
- Maintain a list of required notices for the society and provide those notices in accordance with all required legislation;
- Be responsible for the coordination of the NUGSS planner;
- Attend Equity Council and/or Board Meetings (as needed) and assist/create agenda, minutes and any additional reports.
Northern University Student Centre (NUSC) Stewardship
The Northern University Student Centre is the Student Union Building that the Society operates. Responsibilities with respect to the care and maintenance of the building may include:
- Oversee sub-tenant lease agreements and review annual reports of sub-tenants, in cooperation with the General Manager;
- Ensure that the NUSC Space is maintained to excellent standards;
- Ensure that Board directives and policies concerning the use of student society offices and leases are upheld;
- Ensure that all necessary preparations for catering and room rentals are made (if applicable);
- Perform regular assessments of the NUSC Space;
- Perform light remedial and maintenance tasks to ensure the NUSC Space is maintained as expected;
- Maintain and oversee societies tangible assets and report on their proper repair and maintenance;
Additional Required Duties
Given the scale of the society and size of the University as a whole, responsibilities will flex to changing circumstances and an annual schedule. Some additional responsibilities may include:
- Coordination of the Annual Elections;
- R.O. for the NUGSS annual elections;
- Work with regional campuses to ensure representation
- Assist the NUGSS Board with its efforts to find representatives for various university advocacy bodies.
- Administer and maintain the NUGSS-sponsored bulletin boards throughout the university;
- Provide executive support to the NUGSS Board of Directors;
- Participate in the development of strategic plans, capital purchase plans, the society five-year plan, and the annual operating budget for all society entities.
- Coordinate with the Management Team to ensure efficient systems are in place to meet overall client needs;
- Assistance with related duties and supervision of the front office manager;
- Any other duties assigned by the General Manager;
As the successful candidate:
- You are up for the challenge of providing leadership, guidance, and training to our primarily student staff, in an environment where staff turnover is regular and frequent;
- You have proven experience in developing and delivering training, and a demonstrated ability to lead and motivate staff;
- You have a proven commitment to customer service, and you know what it takes to produce a team of energetic, proud, and motivated, customer service experts;
- You are results oriented, have experience bringing about positive change, and you excel at developing and executing plans for success;
- You are a problem-solver where you bring solutions to the senior management team, not just problems;
- You have experience in event programming and promotions;
- You are a positive person, with excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by your ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, colleagues, suppliers and customers;
- You have knowledge of the systems and processes required to maintain a successful and profitable Student Union operation. Preference will be given to those applicants who have experience within such a facility associated with a post-secondary campus;
- You have knowledge of and ensure compliance with all Canadian, Provincial and Municipal laws pertinent to the operation of the student society;
UNBC-NUGSS is an equal opportunity organization.
Hourly rate will be $18 to $20 per hour based on experience. Hours per week will vary between 21 to 30 hours based on the Society needs.
Applications for this position will close at 4pm, July 26th, 2019.
NUGSS thanks all interested candidates, however only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 to $20.00 /hour