Educational Facilitator - Inclusive Post-Secondary Education at MacEwan University
Inclusion Alberta, in partnership with MacEwan University, is seeking a full-time Educational Facilitator to support the inclusion of a student with a developmental disability. This position would see the education facilitator directly provide some support for a student with a developmental disability. This is a one-year position with the opportunity to continue employment with the family.
The Educational Facilitator will contribute to a team that facilitates the inclusion of students with developmental disabilities in all aspects of academic & campus life within the MacEwan and greater Edmonton community.
- Facilitate meaningful student participation in a wide range of classes; for example, help students prepare so they contribute to class discussions and coursework, meaningfully participate in group assignments, demonstrate their learning in thoughtful ways, etc.
- Facilitate relationships amongst classmates by helping the student with a developmental disability participate in a variety of learning activities, campus activities, events, clubs, associations, (such as intramurals, orientation events, etc.)
- Help student contribute to and benefit from all aspects of campus life and in the Edmonton community
- Collaborate with faculty, post-secondary staff, and students’ families to support students’ full engagement and active membership in their specified program of study, the university, and community at large
- Provide support to faculty members and instructors to develop individualized course expectations, academic modifications, and teaching adaptations to support student learning, engagement, and relationships with classmates
- Network and collaborate with faculty members, business owners, managers, employers, and other community members to develop job and career opportunities in the students’ chosen field of study
- Support students, employers, & co-workers on job sites to ensure positive employment experiences for everyone involved
- Thoughtfully strengthen and foster community capacity for meaningful inclusion of people with developmental disabilities
- Actively collaborate with and positively support Inclusion Alberta team members
- Regularly & actively engage in critical reflection and dialogue (both individually and as a team member) about inclusion
- Deep & abiding commitment to inclusion (as demonstrated by one’s experiences & contributions to community)
- Experience with Inclusive Post-Secondary Education, and/or community development and/or inclusion
- Exhibit the highest level of professionalism
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, collaborative, networking, and organizational skills are required
- Dedicated learner, reflective practitioner, and committed to one’s professional development
- Astute critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities
- Can work effectively both independently and collaboratively
- Comfortable with public speaking and community development (approaching new people)
- Regularly and quickly prepare written reports for multiple audiences
- Hours of work are primarily during the day but may require some evenings & weekends & do require some flexibility
- Current criminal record clearance is required and personal vehicle is a valuable asset
Compensation includes generous holidays, Group Health Insurance that covers 75% of Health and Dental costs that begins once hired, and a $500 annual Health and Wellness spending account.
Please include a thoughtfully written cover letter and resume to Shawna Francis (Regional Coordinator of Inclusive Post-Secondary Education at Inclusion Alberta)
Only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- community inclusion: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)