We are seeking an experienced Veterinary Assistant to join our ICU team.
The successful candidate will be a believer in the possibilities of high quality veterinary medicine and patient care—with the expertise and technical know-how to make them happen.
In this position you will be supporting our Doctors and Technician team by creating a positive, low-stress atmosphere for our clients and patients.
The Veterinary Assistant (ICU) is a permanent, full-time (average of 70 hours bi-weekly) position. Hours of work follow a rotation and are 12 hour shifts between days and overnights.
Duties will include:
- Hourly treatments, including feeding, administering medications, assessing pain / status, restraint, and, lifting; Care of animals needing critical and sensitive handling; Attention to detail and responsible for notifying Technician and Veterinarian of any change in patient status; Assisting in other specialty departments; Stocking, cleaning, and, maintenance of ICU area; and, Client updates.
1) High School diploma;
2) Fluent in English (Reading, Writing and Oral); and,
3) Able to support patients up to 50kg and lift up to 25kg.
1) Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Veterinary Assistant.
Strong client service skills; Excellent time management skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks / projects; Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and teamwork skills; Proven ability to organize, takes initiative, works independently, exercises good judgment; Decision-making and critical thinking skills; Ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships with professionalism and integrity; Exhibits a positive attitude and uses courtesy, diplomacy and discretion; and, Maintains professional ethics and confidentiality.
At VCA, your passion for medicine and compassion for pets and people is matched with a commitment to your professional growth.
- You will sharpen your skills—and even learn some new techniques—and explore career options that only VCA can offer, such as continuing education, transfer, specialization, and leadership opportunities.
We offer competitive compensation and great benefits for eligible employees, including medical/dental, generous personal pet care discounts and more!