With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Hatch is seeking a New Graduate to join our Power and Water Optimization (PWO) team. The PWO team is involved in optimization of large, complex water resource and power systems. Your activities will include consulting, business development, R&D activities as well as productization of technologies and development of software products. In addition, alongside existing senior staff, you will also have a key role in supporting and sustaining the growth of the PWO team. Do you have strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and understand innovation? If yes, we want to hear from you!
Responsibilities: This position will allow you to:
- Participate in state-of-the-art applied research in mathematical optimization
- Apply optimization solutions to real world problems, typically under short timelines
- Understand internal and external client requests and translate them into true needs and solution requirements
- Support the optimization model of existing Hatch software tools (e.g., Vista DSS and HydroVantage), including developing new functionality and correcting software issues
- Conduct knowledge management activities including disseminating findings through presentations and workshops to colleagues, clients and stakeholders, and developing appropriate documentation, such as technical papers as well as software specifications, requirements and user manuals
- Liaise, network and inspire collaboration with all Hatch Business Units and beyond
- Support the bid development processes by participating in technical proposals and providing written technical inputs as necessary
Nice to have:
- A Master’s or PhD degree in Engineering, Technology, or Business from an accredited University on a topic related to mathematical optimization or Operations Research
- Deep domain expertise in mathematical optimization technology (linear programming, non-linear programming and/or mixed integer linear programming)
- Experience building mathematical models using at least one of the following programming languages: C++, AMPL, GAMS, Mosel, Python, R
- Demonstrate strong academic performance; targeted skill sets include: energy and/or hydraulic system modeling
- Have an aptitude for working on multi-disciplinary teams
- Enjoy pursuing new challenges with a dedication to achieving engineering excellence.
What we look for:
- Knowledge of hydroelectric system modeling and/or operations, modeling and optimizing energy generation systems;
- Master's or PhD degree in the application of optimization to hydro power scheduling and/or reservoir management
- Industrial work experience related to power Systems and/or water resources management and/or energy sectors
- Experience with optimization solvers such as CPLEX or Gurobi
- Experience developing and applying innovative software solutions in industrial and business settings
- Experience developing software user interfaces
individuals who are...
- Passionate about solving very challenging client problems;
- Willing to take technological risks involved in building innovative solutions;
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently when appropriate;
- Enjoy establishing relationships and effectively influencing colleagues, clients and stakeholders;
- Excellent communicators; interpersonal and teamwork skills in complex and changing environments.
What can we offer?
Our graduates are mentored by industry experts who are passionate about their field. At Hatch, you are part of an exciting work environment involved in constantly evolving industries. If you are looking for the opportunity to become a part of our team and apply your skills to challenging, interesting and meaningful projects, we look forward to hearing from you.
Please submit a transcript (undergraduate and graduate) with your application.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.