Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position.
At CNA, every person plays an important role in bringing nothing but the best to our customers. If you're looking for a career in a company that's evolving, has a great culture and amazing opportunities within the Insurance Industry, CNA is the clear choice. As part of the CNA team, you'll work with motivated team members who have pride in - and passion for - what they do. Guided by our core values, we remain steadfast to our commitment to career growth and development for all levels of team members so they may navigate their own future and grow with the company. We are deeply rooted in our history and bringing together the best minds in insurance.
The successful candidate will be an excellent teammate and an experienced all-lines underwriter for Canadian domiciled and related international exposures for manufacturing risks. This position has Regional and National responsibilities as noted below.
- Production of new business and maintenance of renewal book of business made up of some of the Ontario Region’s more complex manufacturing risks. Includes risk analysis, pricing, negotiating, setting terms, and referrals to management as necessary.
- Submitting, negotiating, and referring reinsurance when required.
- Review of claim and actuary reports taking underwriting action as required.
- Manage all premiums including new business, renewals and endorsements within corporate guidelines
- Complete underwriting reports, review and follow-up on recommendations of inspections, and analyze loss experience
- Portfolio management of existing accounts to ensure targeted profitability and renewal retention
- Ensure all new business and renewals are properly documented to required standards.
- Develop and manage relationships with broker partners. Complete sales calls and assist in development of joint sales plans utilizing Salesforce.
- Coach and mentor junior underwriting staff
- Perform and execute on underwriting audit action items, as required.
- Ensure service standards for document handling and workflow is appropriate and timely
National (50% of time):
- As a member of our Package Resource Team, work on various projects such as refreshing underwriting guidelines, conduct profitability analysis of the manufacturing segment and/or sub-segments, wording reviews/enhancements, exposure analysis, and others as required
- Conduct underwriting training for all Regions
- Lead the underwriting profitability of our Manufacturing Industry Group on an all commercial lines basis. Responsibilities will be to review performance on a monthly basis with our Regional Vice Presidents, take referrals from the field underwriters, liase with our US Commercial Underwriters and to align our underwriting practices as needed to increase underwriting profit and reduce volatility.
- Create and implement opportunities in the segment that drive profitable growth and underwriting excellence, such as working with brokers and incubators, manufacturing trade shows, etc
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours – to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, inclusive and continuously learning.
- University degree, combined with CIP designation, at least 7 years of commercial property and casualty, including auto, underwriting experience;
- 3-5 years’ experience underwriting manufacturing risks, including the above lines of business plus; product recall, manufacturers E&O, umbrella, US works comp, and DIC/DIL
- Strong marketing skills to ensure profitable growth of a book of business.
- Familiarity with the brokers in the community and expertise and knowledge of distribution and the competitive market environment an asset
- Customer service focused. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, interpretation, organizational and time management skills. Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to conceptualize details and develop action plans for problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment, making sound underwriting decisions with limited supervision.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.
Job Type: Full-time
- Manufacturing Underwriting: 3 years (Preferred)
- P&C Underwriting: 7 years (Preferred)