The North Warning System (NWS) is a joint United States and Canadian radar system that includes 47 radar sites spanning the Arctic from Labrador to the Alaska border. The NWS provides the capability to detect airborne threats across North America's polar region, providing a command and control capability to the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS) of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD).
Raytheon provides Operations and Maintenance (O&M) services for the NWS including full care, custody, and control of the entire system and its components. This includes the radar sites, five logistics support sites (LSSs), a monitoring and control center, and a repair depot. Key activities include maintenance and repair of radar and electronic systems, power generation, and facilities; logistics support; and remote monitoring and control. This is a seasonal position and will be based out of Inuvik. This positions will support our seasonal projects and candidates will be hired to perform seasonal/casual assignments. This is not a full-time position.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintaining roads, grounds and gravel surfaces to ensure safe route passag
- Safe operation of heavy equipment (front end loaders, dozers, graders, trucks, dump truck, fork lift)
- Assisting vehicle mechanic and other trades as required
- Cleaning vehicles, performing fuel dips, fuel transfers
- Responsible for cleanliness of buildings where MSE are kept
- Loading and unloading helicopters and fixed wing aircraft
- Assisting with sea lift material delivery
- Shoveling snow / grounds
- Responding to site preservation emergencies and environmental emergencies
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years as licensed Heavy Equipment Operator with airbrake endorsement
- Valid Class G drivers’ license and valid heavy equipment license(s)
- Experience operating equipment, i.e. dozers, loaders, graders, dump trucks
Desirable skills and experiences
- Must be familiar safety regulations and practices.
- Direct work experience on the North Warning System will be preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Standard First Aid trained with CPR Level A (with valid certificate) preferred
- Written and verbal skill proficiency (English language)
- Ability to travel as part of a small team to adjacent sites to perform HEO functions
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including Fall Arrest Harness, as required
- Ability to work under physically demanding, often adverse weather conditions in remote Arctic locations
Raytheon Canada Limited is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a wide diversity of applicants. Raytheon is committed to providing long-term, sustainable and meaningful economic benefits for Inuit Beneficiaries and their communities through activities such as on-the-job training, mentorship and skills development at all levels of employment. If you are an Inuit Beneficiary or a Land Claim Beneficiary from the Nunatsiavut, Nunavut or Inuvialuit Settlement Region you are encouraged to submit your resume. Individuals who are Inuit status with proof of land claim are preferred.
NWS promotes employment equity as part of the Legislated Employment Equity Program and encourages those who are: a woman, an Aboriginal person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority to apply.
Individuals contacted for a job opportunity should advise the company of any accommodation measures needed in a timely manner. Successful completion of security clearances are required by candidate prior to starting on the program. Candidate must complete a criminal reference check and pass a security clearance check to a level as required for the position through the Canadian Government.