The Substations Technology and Testing business unit provides substation research and development, material testing, and commissioning & acceptance testing. Consulting and investigation offerings include Engineering studies, asset management studies, condition assessment, failure investigation, and expert witness testimony. This business unit includes world class laboratories for Applied Chemistry and also High Power and High Current testing of Apparatus and materials.
Reporting to the Director, Substation Technology and Testing, the incumbent will lead the Substations Field Services group. The selected candidate will be expected to lead every aspect of the team. Responsibilities include establishing an understanding of the global industry trends, developing a long-range strategy, and operationalizing this plan to ensure continued customer engagement and support, growth and day-to-day operational excellence. This leadership role requires teamwork with corporate support functions and the other Managers across Powertech Labs.
Further, the incumbent is expected to be a technical expert in his/her own right and to provide technical leadership and day-to-day management to the team. The selected candidate will be expected to engage customers from around North America and beyond, identify and develop new service offerings to meet emerging and market needs and, collaborate with market participants to advance technology and the associated industry standards. With a relentless focus on safety and quality, the incumbent is expected to pursue policies and activities that constantly raise the field safety procedures and practices, the quality accreditation and the performance of the sector. The selected candidate should have a demonstrated history of performing maintenance and/or asset management practices, developing and implementing equipment standards for maintenance and/or asset management and/or acceptance testing, conducting field testing and monitoring of substation equipment, and preferably participating in national and international forums in relevant technical areas. Authoring and presenting technical publications is seen as important to maintaining and growing this sectors profile.
As a member of the Powertech Team, we are seeking a strong individual with proven capabilities to develop and manage this new group within our Substations Technology and Testing sector. This individual shall possess hands on experience and have technical depth to develop this new team, and then lead and mentor the team through a variety of small to large complex projects. Clients range from those based in British Columbia to equipment suppliers, utilities, and research organizations around the globe.
Responsibilities • Build and develop a team
- Manage, lead and support a team of Technologist and Engineers in the field of asset management and field testing on projects of varying complexities
- Develop standards, safe work policies and procedures, training and work guides, and test plans.
- Develop and manage a core competency program
- Develop and manage a resource plan
- Develop and manage a tool/test equipment and asset inventory system and calibration process
- Be accountable for all aspects of the team and department including, but not limited to, financial (P&L), staff, facilities and laboratories, safety, quality, environment, capital expansion, customer interactions, project scoping and scheduling and estimates, and business development
- Ensure that qualified internal and external resources are available and have the required expertise and tools to meet work plans; allocate resources to various projects within the work program; assign and coordinate work, and provide instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers, project and technical staff; review work in progress and assess completed work for accuracy, required results and compliance with quality assurance standards and procedures; where necessary provide mentorship and coaching to team members
- Lead in business development activities by seeking out opportunities in areas of expertise, contacting prospective clients, preparing proposals and conducting client follow-up
- Appraise staff performance and provide input into an employee development program in order to maintain the required expertise; assist the business unit director in staff selection, training and recommending promotions
- Develop a robust program of new services in support of growing the team and the services offered to Powertech’s customers by monitoring and understanding industry/market trends, issues, and opportunities and assess for feasibility and market size
- Work collaboratively with other teams across Powertech and seek opportunities for cross-discipline projects
- Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Electrical Engineering; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrated experience in managing all aspects of a highly qualified team of technical experts
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC is an asset
- Demonstrated proficiency as a Professional Engineer is an asset
Required technical experience and knowledge
- Strong practical knowledge of industrial electrical system design and installation in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code, IEEE Standards, NFPA 70E and IEC Standards
- Familiarity with peripheral technical aspects such as civil and mechanical works and construction
- Strong maintenance and construction experience, preferably in electric utility substations
- Thorough understanding of principles of managing multifaceted, multidisciplinary, technical projects; inclusive of budgets, resources, schedules, and deliverables through proposal, definition, initiation, planning, execution, reporting, and closure stages
- Develop innovative field testing and asset management techniques that are predicated on sound theoretical and practical knowledge in testing, analysis and problem resolution
- Prepare and/or review and/or approve detailed technical reports
- Develop standards, training guides and work procedures
- Maintain detailed documentation throughout all phases of a project including project close-out
- Work within our quality program and accreditation and, as required, work to expand our quality accreditation
- Remain abreast of changes in technology, standards and the evolving global power industry
- Participate in industry forums such as Doble, CIGRE and/or IEEE standards working committees
- Coordinate projects or components of projects including scheduling work and tracking costs in accordance with company’s quality controls and leveraging company resources and processes
- Project management, invoicing, status reporting, driving consistency
- Construction and contracts management experience would be an asset
- Assess, train and ensure your team is adequately competent to undertake the work; identify and assess risk hazards to your team and to Powertech as a whole; ensure scope of work is clearly defined and within the capabilities of your team
- Respond to requests for quotations and requests for proposals from clients, provide detailed technical proposals, cost estimates, and work schedules, and insure invoicing and monthly progress reports are submitted in a timely manner to clients
Performance Competencies (Non-Technical Skills)
- Entrepreneurial mindset with proven track record in business development success
- Excellent customer service skills with ability to envision “walking in the customers’ shoes”
- Good aptitude for marketing and client contacts
- Demonstrated management of a Profit & Loss (P&L) statement and an understanding of annual planning, budgeting and business forecasting
- Knowledge of environmental, socio-economic and public interest issues and their impact on area of expertise
- Broad technical knowledge of the electric utility business and industrials with recognized technical expertise
- Demonstrated rigor in modeling awareness and behaviours for working safely in laboratories and the field
- Excellent leadership, team building and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage the successful implementation and delivery of products and services to the client on time and within budget
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to build successful relationships, make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences and liaise with peers in industry
- Excellent decision making capabilities
- Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Promote Powertech services to existing and potential clients in order to provide a flow of projects and work for the group and Powertech
- Maintain professional relationships and communication with other departments, outside consultants, contractors and suppliers in order to effectively and efficiently gather and relay information and resolve issues of concern
- Conceive and explore new services opportunities
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
- Initiative and aptitude/adaptability to solve complex and varying challenges with minimal direction
- Focus on consistency and quality in all work activities
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please note that due to the volume of applications received, only applicants shortlisted for further consideration will be contacted.
Competition Close Date 5/21/2019 Affiliation M&P Compensation & Benefits Overview
Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.