SURGICAL SUITE (OR/Endo/PACU/SDS)
CORPORATE SURGICAL PROGRAM
REGULAR PART TIME
4 & 8 Hour Day/Evening/On-Call shifts (subject to change)
Lakeridge Health Port Perry
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Care of the unconscious patient. Working in aseptic intraoperative environment. Care and maintenance of specialized instruments. Utilization of the nursing process to provide patient focused care. Collaborative participation as a member of the Health Care team and nursing team. As an individual practitioner, to maintain competence and professionalism relevant to current practice. To maintain nursing records, electronic and manual. To perform other related duties as assigned in the scrub and circulating role within many specialized services within an operating room setting. In addition, will be assigned to provide patient care in the Day Surgery, Post Anesthetic Care Unit, Pre Surgical Screening and the Endoscopy Suite.
- Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario (must provide Annual Registration Payment Card);
- Current B.C.L.S.;
- Significant recent operating room experience and successful completion of a Post Graduate Certificate in Perioperative Nursing;
- Experience in Post Anesthetic Care, Endoscopy and Day Surgery nursing;
- Knowledge of care and maintenance of specialized OR equipment;
- Sound knowledge and application of nursing skills as listed in the C.O.N. "Standards of Nursing Practice" and the "Recommended Standards, Guidelines, and Position Statements for Perioperative Registered Nursing Practice" Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada;
- Sound knowledge and application of the standards of practice for both "Ontario Post Anaesthetic Nurses Association" and the "Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Nurses Association", and willingness to adjust practice to evidence based research;
- Knowledgeable regarding the application of health and safety and infection control principles as it applies to the role of the RN in the Operating Room, PACU and Endo Clinic Environment;
- Proven organizational, problem-solving and teaching skills and willingness to promote learning for students in the perioperative environment;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgement, good observation and patient assessment skills, tact and empathy;
- Able to prioritize and complete assignments in a reasonable length of time;
- Able to perform appropriately in emergency situations;
- Physically capable of lifting, turning, pushing, pulling and transferring patients manually and with mechanical aides;
- Able to assume a leadership/charge role;
- Ability to respond to callback on evenings, nights and weekends, within 30 minutes;
- Knowledge of invasive monitoring, preferred;
- Canadian Nurses Association Certification in Perioperative Nursing CPN(c), preferred;
- B.Sc.N., preferred;
- Experience with C section is an asset;
- Must have satisfactory performance record;
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Inclusion, Compassion, Innovation, Teamwork and Joy;
- Understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff, patient and environmental safety and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and,
- Proven good attendance with the capability of maintaining the same standard.
$33.23 - $47.57 per hour
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is open to all qualified ONA staff throughout Lakeridge Health.
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Collective Agreement between the Hospital and the Ontario Nurses Association (RN Bargaining Unit Local 051).
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under Lakeridge Health's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.