Position Summary Under the supervision and direction of the Food Services Manager and/or designate, and in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures, this position prepares food items by following established menus, recipes and procedures. Makes menu adjustments and orders food and supplies as required.
Responsibilities Includes but not limited to;
1. Cooks, bakes and seasons assigned food items such as soups, sauces, salads, starches, meats, fish poultry, vegetables and desserts. Uses cooking methods and procedures such as roasting, frying, grilling, steaming, poaching, boiling, and baking. Tests, tastes and checks food items to ensure flavour, texture, and temperature and adjusts accordingly.
2. Prepares assigned food items by following established menus, recipes, and quantity quotas. Texturizes food items by slicing, cutting, dicing, mincing, and pureeing items such as vegetables, meat and poultry. Determines ingredients and quantities required. Assembles ingredients and equipment required for cooking and baking. Plans cooking schedule to minimize time between completion of cooking and serving.
3. Portions food items to ensure that the recipe yields meets established quantity quotas.
4. Follows established FoodSafe guidelines and food preparation routines to minimize time between completion of thawing, prepping, cooking, serving, chilling and freezing.
5. Assigns tasks to Food Service Workers.
6. Receives supplies as required and notifies Director of Support Services or designate of any shortages, spoilage, discrepancies or concerns.
7. Maintains established food rotations in storage in order to minimize waste and spoilage. Carries out daily time/temperature audits, records results and reports problems to the Food Services Manager or designate.
8. Loads meal service wagons in a timely manner so as to minimize holding time before meal service.
9. Unloads meal service hot carts and steam tables, carries out established procedures for utilization of leftovers.
10. Maintains work area by cleaning and sanitizing work surfaces, including spot washing of walls and splash areas, tables, sinks, equipment and machines as required and in accordance with established procedures. Removes garbage and re-cycling as required.
11. Reports safety and equipment concerns to the Food Services Manager or designate.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications 1. Grade 12 or equivalent.
2. Graduation from a recognized 12 month program in cooking or equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. FoodSafe Level 1 certificate.
4. Knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machines.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
2. Ability to deal effectively with others.
3. Ability to work independently and follow instruction with minimal supervision.
4. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment.