The WJS Canada Community Disability Services program in Westlock, AB, helps people with developmental disabilities become?active and involved?in their communities. In our?passion to improve lives and?develop life skills, we encourage inclusion and participation through community living and life skill coaching, career development, rest and relief for care-givers and family support. Our wide range of local programs and services includes supported homes, supported independent and semi independent living, behaviour consultation, mental health and physical care.
In Your Role You Will
- Implement person-centered plans designed to provide instruction, guidance and assistance in a helpful and supportive manner
- Support individual with their personal life planning and goal setting and achievement.
- Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, assisting with direct care of individual when required.
- Maximize participation/inclusion at home and in the community and minimize risks in the client's physical, social and recreational environments .
- Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
- Work with minimal supervision on an interdisciplinary team and cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
- Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
- Collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
- Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
- Maintain required documentation.
The Community Disability Worker working 30+ hrs/wk, 4 shifts on, 4 off rotation (12pm - 10pm), will support the individual with daily hygiene and community participation, as well as, provide physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision.
Drawing upon your specialized training, you will use the “tell-show-do” method and positive reinforcement to support the client to acquire/reacquire life skills and competencies in: life skills; job coaching; cognitive retraining; memory aids; self-help, etc.
This position reports to an assigned Team Leader.
Criminal Record Check/Ministry Check Statement
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- One (1) years experience working with individuals with a developmental disability.
- MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
- Demonstrated skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
- Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
- Good computer skills are required as all files are electronic
- Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention Check
- CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website:
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.