Position: Financial Services Clerk
Division: Finance & Administration
Reporting To: Senior Accounting Supervisor
This position is responsible for performing a variety of financial support functions relating to accounts payable and accounts receivable.
The position will be responsible for full cycle Accounts Payable duties and will be proficient in the duties noted below.
This position will also act as back up for other AP positions.
- Timely and accurate processing of vendor invoices, staff and student expense claims, and corporate credit card purchases into Agresso;
- Checking and verifying documents for proper authorization, coding rates, tax calculations, and matching to supporting receipts;
- Reviewing and ensuring all payment requests are in compliance with JIBC Financial Management policies and procedures;
- Generate cheques or direct deposit batches as applicable for weekly payment cycle;
- Post purchase orders into Agresso and ensure proper application of balances to vendor invoices;
- Process pre-authorized debit payments;
- Investigate and take corrective action for stale dated or lost cheques;
- Correct AP transactions to general ledger through journal entries;
- File paid invoices and other reports relating to accounts payable;
- Respond to enquiries from academies/divisions regarding accounts payable matters including JIBC Financial management policy and procedures and application of sales tax;
- Liaise with suppliers, investigating outstanding statement items and resolving discrepancies and payment related issues. Reconcile Agresso vendor sub-ledger accounts to vendor statements and ensure that our accounts are current;
- Fill out company and reference sections on credit check forms from new vendors;
- Stay current with Canadian sales tax legislation and in particular legislation relating to Education and Public sector;
- Ensure timely posting of accounts payable transactions to meet monthly and annual reporting objectives of the Finance Division;
- Petty cash reconciliation and duties;
- Back up to other peer roles;
- Other Finance Division duties, as assigned
The position will work in a co-operative team environment with Accounts Receivable and will be proficient in the following duties:
- Process and prepare accounts receivable trade invoices and credit memos. Check and verify cost centre and general ledger account coding. Check for proper inclusion of sales taxes and apply Institute surcharges in accordance with financial management procedures;
- Apply payments (cash or internal) to customer sub-ledger accounts;
- Daily cash application to Agresso;
- Formulate and journalize prepayments and overpayments to the general ledger;
- Reconcile and balance accounts, generating statements and a variety of financial reports;
- Ensure all sales and payments are posted to the proper accounting period according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Meet the monthly reporting objectives of the Finance Division by processing transactions within strict deadlines;
- Make soft collection calls to customers with outstanding debt and within standards set by the Finance Division. Negotiate and persuade customers with delinquent accounts to make payment. Communicate status of problem or disputed accounts to Supervisor;
- Maintenance and review of aged receivables report by matching credits and debits and investigating delinquent balances. Make recommendations for refund of credit balances to Supervisor;
- Respond to enquiries from JIBC staff regarding customer accounts and matters regarding internal procedures. Assist JIBC staff with enquiries regarding coding, sales taxes, and surcharges;
- Respond to customer enquiries and provide assistance to Registration staff on accounting issues;
- Other Finance Division duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Accounting Certificate offered by public post-secondary Canadian educational institution or completion of Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Module 5.1 Intermediate Financial Reporting; or other acceptable equivalent courses as approved by CPA.
Minimum one-year experience using a computerized ERP accounting system. Proficiency in Excel is required.
Good working knowledge of accounting principles and practices relating to accounts payable, including leaving and following an audit trail. Ability to formulate journal entries relating to position responsibilities. Basic understanding of
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as related to accounts payable and receivable. Basic understanding of financial statement implications to position responsibilities. Good working knowledge of sales tax rules, both Provincial and Federal.
Fast and accurate data entry skills in a high volume and detailed oriented environment.
Must be able to set priorities, multitask, and organize own workload to meet rigid deadlines.
The successful candidate must enjoy and be able to learn and master a complex set of rules. You are a member of a team that is supportive and works towards creating a positive team environment for the benefit of the entire division.
A high service orientation and the ability to work through conflict in a tactful and diplomatic manner is required. Ability to discuss matters of dispute with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, using fact, logic, and superior listening and communication skills to gain co-operation and resolution.
- Occasional overtime may be required.
- Applicants must clearly state the required / relevant experience, education and training qualifications in their resume, as outlined in job posting.
Note: Short listed candidates will undergo testing in the following: Accounting test, Data Entry, Typing, Excel and Word.
Justice Institute of British Columbia is an equal opportunity employer and is interested in broadening the diversity of its staff. We encourage applications from visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
- Dental care
- Company pension
- Vacation & paid time off
- On-site parking
- Parental leave
- Education reimbursement
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
Reference ID: 19-72
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $842.58 to $901.25 /week
- Accounts Payable/ Accounts Receivable: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)