Prison In-reach and Community Closing Date: Open until filled
Full-time (35 hours) Location : Vancouver & the
Lower Mainland, Fraser
Nature of Work :
Weekdays predominantly, flexibility Posting #1 : 23368-112019
required on occasion
We are a human rights and social services charitable not-for-profit agency for women, girls, and children
affected by the justice system.
EFry is committed to the belief that people are willing and able to take responsibility for their own lives
if provided with the resources, opportunities and skills to do so. We value working together with others
who are committed to equality, fairness, and opportunity for those we serve.
EFry helps both female and male clients access the government financial support to which they are
entitled. Third Party Administration clients cannot receive these services from government offices for
behavior or their need for high levels of support and case management. EFry tailors our support to each
client’s individual circumstances, with the goal of helping them meet the criteria necessary to reinstate
their direct access to government services.
We are seeking a full time Prison In-reach and Community Transition Worker that will be responsible for
identifying and supporting women transitioning from prison to Abbotsford who seek to exit involvement
in prostitution or the sex trade. The worker will assist women to secure housing, addictions treatment as
appropriate, individual counselling, and medical and educational support to enable them to secure a
new future inclusive of employment or other secured income.
- Visit the provincial and federal prisons for women to identify women in the target population
seeking support to develop a new future.
- Provide prison in-reach by meeting with interested women individually prior to her release from
prison to build rapport, gain an understanding of needs once released, and begin to plan her
community service navigation path.
- Provide transportation enrolled women who need assistance from the prison to Abbotsford and
the secured transitional or permanent housing.
needs including, but not limited to:
- Provides outreach in the community for women who need hands on assistance securing basic
assisting them with obtaining identification, applying for
medical and other benefits, career exploration, applying for jobs and attending interviews,
obtaining housing, enrolling in individual counselling, arranging child care assistance, shopping
for groceries, scheduling mental health and A&D appointments, and engaging with community
resources or peer support networks.
- Supports women to solidify their new role identity, develop a long term life plan and any needed
new skills or other requirements through ongoing case management and follow-up.
- Other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience working with target
population totaling 4 years.
- In the absences of direct target group experience, a minimum of a BA or related degree and 1
year experience directly working with children.
- Knowledge of Abbotsford community and resources.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to respond to issues and inquiries in a quick and professional manner
- Ability to identify potential stakeholder and public concerns
- Ability to deal with demands, priorities and issues management situations in a public sector or
- Excellent writing and editing skills, computer skills and verbal communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Standard First Aid with CPR-C, and Dr’s Note of fitness required
- Local Police search and Provincial Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Clearance required
- Must have own vehicle and valid BC driver’s licence
- Satisfactory record of driver’s abstract
Efry actively promotes a program of employment equity and equal opportunity to ensure equal access
to employment opportunity for all persons.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview. No phone calls please.