OVERVIEW Aecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon Utilities brings together state-of-the-art technology, the most recent advances in processes, and an experienced team dedicated to the work we perform; ranging from power and gas distribution to roadway and airport lighting. Built on innovation, we constantly challenge ourselves to meet the demands of existing markets and anticipate how to serve emerging ones. For more information, please visit our website (www.aecon.com). POSITION OVERVIEWUnder the direction of the Supervisor, Finance the Intermediate Project Accountant will be responsible for providing financial and cost control support for various business units within the Utilities group. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES • Work with Operations Management team to identify and forecast financial exposures; • Work with project staff along with accounts receivable, accounts payable, estimating and the Utilities finance department to prepare financial reports; • Maintain project cost reports and project ledgers; • Issue monthly project cost reports that include forecasted costs and total monthly variance to plan; • Work closely with Project Manager in preparing monthly progress invoices to Owner/Consultant for work performed during the month; • Ensure final payments of holdbacks from owner and to all subcontractors are completed upon project close out; • Maintain accurate and timely Cash Flow data, both current and forecasted as compared to projected Cash Flow; • Administer input of all approved Change Orders and increases to Prime Contract and pertinent Subcontracts; • Act as “Internal Auditor” assuring internal controls are being followed; • Assist with interim and year-end audit and reporting requirements; • Build and maintain excel reporting models used for monthly and quarterly reporting; • Document and ensure continuous process improvements are applied within area of responsibility; • Participate in special projects and initiatives as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Accounting designation (CPA, CGA, CMA, CA);
- Related Post-Secondary education;
- 3+ years of construction accounting experience;
- Demonstrated computer software proficiency with Microsoft Office; advanced Excel skills would be a strong asset;
- Expertise with computerized accounting systems, specifically related to project costing and SAP.
- Excellent and proven organizational skills in order to meet multiple deadlines and handle multiple tasks within a high pressure work environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency by demonstrating the ability to shift priorities to accomplish objectives.
- Effectively manage time to keep commitments to both internal and external clients.
- Communication – excellent ability to clearly and effectively communicate information and clarify requirements both orally and in writing.
EXTENT OF PUBLIC CONTACT
- Deals with internal contacts in person and on the telephone
- Communicates with supervisors and management across the business
- Communicates with co-workers as required to resolve problems
- Communicates with external clients as required for audit and reporting purposes