ABOUT THE COMPANY:
At the Coulson Group, we know that our employees are our strongest asset. Guided by a successful past and a long-term innovative vision for growth, our future success will be driven by our people and our strategic approach to our work. Family owned and operated since 1960, the Coulson Group of Companies began with Coulson Forest Products. During the 1990s, the Coulson Group expanded into Aviation and have become global leaders in aerial firefighting, emergency personnel transport and other heavy lift operations. Coulson Aviation operates in North America, South America and Australia and we expect to expand our specialized missions to other countries around the world. In addition to aviation we operate Port Alberni’s local gaming centre and restaurant, Chances RimRock and Cypress Restaurant. In 2012, Coulson Ice Blast was founded, a wet & dry ice blasting cleaning technology business and have expanded the group further launching Coulson Entertainment, a division that provides large scale aviation props to movie productions.
Coulson Group is founded on innovation, diversification and entrepreneurial spirit and values safety first, environmentally friendly, working smarter and harder than the competition and customer service excellence.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
This full-time permanent position has been created due to our rapidly expanding operations both domestically and abroad. We are seeking an experienced Law professional for general legal, corporate, regulatory, and business advice in respect of business operations, aviation law, aerial fire suppression, protection of intellectual property, and employment issues arising in high risk work environments. The General Counsel will review, draft, and negotiate service, supply, insurance and other contracts, as well as liaise with regulatory authorities and external counsel in multiple jurisdictions.
This position is based in Port Alberni, BC Canada. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Advise management in respect of contractual and regulatory rights and obligations, insurance coverage, and claim liability in multiple jurisdictions, and location and supervising necessary subject matter experts in respect of foreign jurisdictions.
· Prepare, draft, negotiate and review all contracts, service and/or IP agreements, patent applications, and leases in this jurisdiction and, with the assistance of local experts, do likewise in respect of Coulson’s foreign operations.
· Interpret laws, rulings and regulations for employees and the Coulson Group of Companies in this jurisdiction, and with the assistance of local experts, in all foreign jurisdictions in which Coulson does business.
· Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law, including attending to all Corporate filings.
· Liaise with and supervise domestic and foreign external litigation and/or regulatory counsel.
· Analyze and opine on the probable outcomes of litigation matters, both foreign and domestic, and make recommendations to management as to ongoing course of conduct.
· Aviation or Transport Law experience
· FAA or Canada Transport experience
· Called to a state bar in the USA or Australia an asset
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume with a cover letter outlining your experience and salary expectations. Please quote “2020-43 – General Counsel” in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone call please.
In addition to a competitive salary, Coulson provides excellent benefits as part of its Total Compensation Package. These include medical and dental benefits, pension, and the possibility for bonuses. Moreover, Coulson Group values and strongly encourages its employees to maintain a positive work-life balance, creating an environment that champions creativity and autonomy.
We are proud of our team and encourage a respectful workplace where everyone is treated with dignity and all ideas are welcome. Moreover, we support growth within the company and provide opportunities for advancement.
We support diversity, equity and a workplace that is free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any element of the competition process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs
Port Alberni is a jewel nestled in the Alberni Valley, offering many outdoor activities during your down time, including water sports, camping, hiking, snowshoeing, and others. With lakes, the Inlet, and mountains all around, you will never run out of things to do here. There is a movie theatre that is currently undergoing renovations, and many shops owned and operated by local residents. You will also find some of the most delicious seafood right here in town at one of our many local restaurants.
If you’re looking for a quick weekend getaway, Tofino and Ucluelet are a mere two-hour drive West of town. Or, if you’re not looking for waves, Nanaimo is only an hour East, while Victoria is less than three hours South. Both offer big city shopping opportunities in addition to a wide variety of arts, entertainment, dining, and cultural activities. The Comox Valley is also less than two hours Northeast of the Valley, offering mountain biking, skiing, caving, and other outdoor activities. And let’s not forget those adorable goats on the roof at Coombs!
Centrally located, Port Alberni offers you the benefits of a small town – affordable real estate, anyone? – with the ability to play outside and experience big city life nearby.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent