Pclass # SS039
This position is responsible for ensuring the highest quality public service to College community and supporting efficient and accurate access to library resources and services. This position involves providing both circulation and information services. Provides exceptional service to library patrons using library resources.
1. Provision of circulation services at a single service point
- Charges and discharge library materials & audiovisual equipment and places requests on behalf of students, staff, faculty and members of the public
- Collects overdue fines, handles cash, sells copy cards
- Receives and responds to routine in-person and telephone enquiries
- Books and preps videos, DVDs and handles routine issues with streaming materials
- Books and preps audiovisual equipment such as iPads and video cameras.
- Co-ordinates the repair of removal of broken audiovisual equipment
- Assists patrons on the basic functions of audiovisual equipment
2. Provision of information services at a single service point
- Responds to all in-person, email and telephone requests accurately, intelligently, courteously and expeditiously utilizing knowledge of the collection and diverse resources including those in electronic format available at VCC and other BC post-secondary institutions. Refers complex questions to librarian or reference assistant.
- Assists patrons with basic questions on standard software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Utilizes judgment in assessing the needs of multi-barriered and/or
English as an additional language users and responds appropriately in a respectful manner.
- Maintains public workstations, rebooting and troubleshooting print issues
3. Other duties as assigned.
- Withdraws library materials as instructed
- Performs word processing, filing, photocopying and book mending tasks
- Completes cataloguing directives for new or donated titles
- Handles donated materials according to established guidelines
- Assists instructional librarians with the revision of library guides, web pages, handouts and labs as assigned.
- Assists in the promotion of library programs and services through production of displays and the creation of bibliographies and publicity information as assigned.
- Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience
Completion of Library Technician diploma program plus a minimum of 6 months related experience or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience may be substituted for the required qualifications. Completion of at least one reference course is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and faculty and to interact patiently, tactfully and effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent telephone etiquette and customer service skills. The ability to function professionally and pleasantly during periods of high stress.
- Sound knowledge of standard library organization, regulations, policies and procedures within an automated environment.
- Knowledge of library terminology and bibliographic skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of automated library and office equipment.
- Excellent organizational skills. Must demonstrate resourcefulness and initiative.
- Superior oral and written communication skills. Sound knowledge of business English, punctuation and spelling and the ability to communicate successfully with all groups, including speakers of English as a Second Language.
- Must be flexible and able to cope with change.
- Creative problem solver.
Salary Range - Prorated based on FTE
$23.1221 – $26.9279 per hour plus payment in lieu of vacation and statutory holidays.
Posting Detail Information
Employment Group Support Staff (CUPE)
Type of Position Casual
Employment Type On Call
Department LIBRARY PUBLIC SERVICES
Primary Location - This position may require you to work at all VCC locations. Broadway
Is this posting only for internal applicants? No
Desired Start Date - May be subject to change
Position End Date - For Temporary Positions
Vacation Blackout Dates
Number of Hours per Week Varies
Work Schedule - Hours may vary according to the needs of the Department
The casual on-call position can have shifts between 7:30 am – 8:15 pm Monday to Thursday, 7:30 am – 4:15 pm on Fridays and 9:30 am – 2:45 pm on Saturdays.
Eligible for Fortnight No
Special Instructions to Applicant
Vancouver Community College is committed to maintaining a work force that represents the diverse community we serve and we encourage all qualified applicants.
Posting Open Date 02/22/2019
Posting Close Date
Is this a pooled posting? Yes