Ceridian. Makes Work Life Better™
This is our promise. Not only for our customers, but our employees as well.
Do you thrive in an innovative and exciting environment that’s continuously evolving? Ceridian is looking for fun, intelligent, team oriented people who believe in our values: Customer Focus, Transparency, Diligence, Optimism, and Agility. Our workplace culture provides empowering programs for career growth and offers diversity and inclusion groups to support every person’s career journey. Ceridian employees have declared Ceridian a Great Place to Work® in 2018, a Glassdoor Best Places to Work in 2019, and one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the 16th consecutive year!
Find out why Ceridian is such a great place to work.
Reporting to the Director Application Development, this position is responsible for the delivery of high quality, innovative solutions for Ceridian’s customers. The Manager Development has a proven ability to manage software development teams through the entire development lifecycle. This includes, but is not limited to, the development of solid solution designs, effective mitigation of impediments, on-time delivery on commitments and on-going support of software released to production.
Key Responsibility Areas:
Experience and Skills Requirements:
- Lead one or more agile software development teams to deliver new and updated Ceridian software solutions with high quality and high predictability
- Work with Ceridian development team in addition to contractors both offshore and onshore developing cohesive working environment and processes
- Participate in strategic planning activities to identify and recommend business opportunities. Interpret strategies into the development and implementation of new policies, approaches and project plans for the department
- Direct the development of all solutions development through ongoing communication and collaboration with other Ceridian teams and departments including Product Development, Product Management and Business Technology, as well as external vendors to ensure solutions meet business requirements
- Manage all aspects of the project planning including development of project plans and budgets, determining the distribution of work between internal and external resources, managing project teams and deliverables and providing technical guidance, and negotiating agreements and service levels. Responsible for the management of the day-to-day activities of the team and their project deliverables
- Fully support agile software development including the maintenance of daily scrums, assessment of risks, removal of impediments, regular product demonstrations & retrospectives and reliable delivery of product increments
- Work effectively with Product Manager / Product Owner to prioritize and plan software deliveries including sprint planning, release scheduling and product backlog maintenance & refinement
- Direct the development of a department budget and provide regular reports on expenditures
- Perform all components of HR management such as performance and career development, hiring, recognition, compensation, attendance management, coaching and orientation
- Continuously improve development guidelines and processes to improve consistency of product quality, delivery and to increase the effectiveness of teams
- Provide effective leadership and guidance to coach, motivate and lead team members to their optimal performance as well as recognize and promote excellent performers
- Ability to write and review software designs, solutions and code as needed. Provide technical direction to the team in all phases of development
- Understanding of technical architectures, capacity planning, tool requirements, automation plans, organizational readiness and product launch plans and other deliverables
- Remain current on emerging software development methodologies and technologies and ensure team is also actively involved through education, research and networking
- Perform other assigned duties as required
- Some travel will be required, less than 25%
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Engineering
- Five to ten years’ experience in the management of large-scale software development projects
- Extensive experience in enterprise software development including analysis, programming and testing
- Demonstrated track record of hiring, developing, and retaining exceptional talent
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to build and present effective business presentations
- Proven collaboration skills including the ability to work at a senior level to influence, negotiate and problem-solve. May be required to make site visits and provide resolutions to high profile and/or at-risk customers
- Experience managing the development of cloud-based applications
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage competing priorities and projects
- Solid object oriented programming using C#
- Domain experience in Digital Wallet, Tax and Payments
- EntityFramework, Web development including WCF and JSON
- Angular JS, MVC web frameworks
- Experience with Microsoft Azure an asset
Ceridian combines the excitement of a startup environment, with the growth opportunities of a large organization. We believe our employees should be happy and healthy, with peace of mind and a sense of fulfillment. We provide our employees with comprehensive benefits for various life circumstances and needs, great opportunities for career development, and a balanced lifestyle to achieve personal and professional success.
Ceridian is fueled by the diversity of our talented employees. We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace all individuals and what makes them unique. We consider all applicants, regardless of age, religion, race, color, ancestry, gender, gender identity, disability, national origin, race, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We enthusiastically encourage all individuals to apply for positions that fit their passions. Come join our inclusive team and start collaborating with us on award winning projects!
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.