Under general supervision of the Assistant Facilities Manager, the Facility Worker 1 shall ensure that the buildings and grounds are maintained appropriately to company standards. The Facility Worker 1 is responsible for keeping the building in a clean and orderly condition, and will perform heavy cleaning duties, such as removing rubbish, street sweeping, lawn care, rug care, power washing, equipment cleaning, walls and glass cleaning. The Facility Worker 1 shall also be responsible for the installation, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintenance of equipment in accordance with safe work practices and standardized operating procedures. Additional duties may include: supporting the Facility Worker 2, tending to the furnace and boiler, general repair to HVAC equipment, performing routine maintenance activities, and cleaning snow from sidewalks and parking areas.
Candidate must possess:
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· The ability to follow safe work practices and correct safety concerns
· Understanding of scheduled maintenance tasks and the ability to replicate desired results on scheduled time lines
· Planning, documenting, reporting, and equipment tracking skills
· Troubleshooting and diagnosing abnormal equipment functioning
· Ability to organize and communicate thoughts
· Team Work
· Computer literacy skills with Microsoft office, e-mail, equipment and ticketing systems(s).
· Ability to comply and enforce Occupational Health and Safety standards and practices.
Candidate must be able to:
· Work safely with all basic hand and power tools
· Inspect and use proper PPE for each assigned task
· Complete drywall, wood surface, and furniture repairs
· Paint a variety of surfaces
· Lift 50 lbs with proper lifting techniques
· Operate a motor vehicle
· Use seasonal lawn/snow removal equipment
· Perform basic: plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and mechanical repairs or installations
· Provide excellent customer service.
· Understand and follow clear instruction and training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains a clean and safe work environment. Performs duties in compliance with safety procedures, which includes the use of safety equipment. Workers are responsible for following safety procedures, identifying unsafe practices or conditions and informing their supervisor of unsafe conditions.
2. Inspects equipment and facilities for proper operation and working condition; maintains routine
records and determines type and extent of malfunction of equipment and, as necessary, adjusts,
disassembles and repairs or replaces parts or components, reassembles and tests for proper operation.
Reports more serious problems to the appropriate supervisors for instructions or maintenance scheduling.
3. Monitors and follows priorities for preventative maintenance work orders, maintenance
requisitions and scheduled work.
4. Completes all scheduled maintenance, upkeep, and cleaning duties assigned to this position within the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi and annual inspection reports.
5. Prepares, paints and decorates interior and exterior surfaces as required.
6. Electrical – Inspect facility interior and exterior lighting for proper operation. Replacing light bulbs, repair and assembling extension cords, may maintain circuit wiring, switches, control equipment and mechanisms, motors, transformers, relays, and replacing fuses
7. Plumbing--Maintain, repair, and make alterations to water, air, and sanitary plumbing pipes and fixtures. Repair and replace valves, repair leaks, and clear drain stoppages.
8. Mechanical – Inspects and cleans mechanical equipment and mechanical rooms to ensure that
all facility equipment can operate properly in its specified environment. Maintenance of Hotel/Casino
equipment, kitchen equipment, office machines and equipment, vacuums, sweeper, carpet cleaners.
May service and make repairs to heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment including fans,
motors, pulleys, radiators, thermostats, dampers, and regulating controls; replace filters and fluids as
necessary; and will maintain routine records of repairs, etc. clean and lubricate motors and other
9. Shop, tools, and storage – Ensures that all tools, storage areas, and workshops are kept in a clean and orderly fashion. Will be required to organize, sort, clean, and inventory the numerous rooms required by the Department of Facilities.
10. Landscaping and Grounds Upkeep - Will be required to perform repetitive maintenance on both the interior and exterior of the building, including snow shoveling, lawn mowing, sweeping, garbage pick-up, carpet cleaning, walk off mat cleaning and other building maintenance requirements.
11. Parkade and Parking lot – Required operating a variety of equipment including wet and dry street sweepers to keep the parkade and parking lot a clean and dirt-free area for patron’s use. Will monitor and inspect driving surfaces for damage, dirt, line paint and will diligently respond to keep these areas up to company standards.
12. Floor and Carpet care – Will inspect, replace, and clean: carpet, carpet tiling, floor tiles, wall tiles, concreate, and any other floor surface in the facility.
13. Hospitality – Responds to and corrects discrepancies, damage, and work orders within the hotel, lobby’s, showroom, and Yuk-Yuk’s comedy club.
14. Assists the Facility Worker II in the completion of designated inspection reports, equipment tracking, large repairs, and completion of various inspection reports.
15. A variety of routine maintenance duties such as replacing and repacking valves, assemble equipment,
repair drape pull mechanism, adjusts thermostats, maintains inventory of equipment, manuals and
warranties. Drive maintenance and cleaning vehicles, as required.
16. Secondary attendant to gas-fired hot water boilers and heaters; combustion/water flow, water level, and proper operation of safety devices and auxiliary equipment. Tests boiler water and adds chemicals as necessary.
17. Performs other duties as needed, including special projects, a variety of routine manual duties as required, such as moving supplies, furniture, equipment, removing trash, scrap material
18. Establishes and maintains courteous, cooperative relations when interacting with other personnel and the public.
19. Attendance: reports to work as scheduled, on time, and ready to work.
20. All other duties as assigned.
Demonstrated experience in performing maintenance and labor duties in a commercial or industrial environment. Proven ability in performing tasks within specific deadlines and under pressure where problem solving, troubleshooting, organizing and prioritizing work is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Previous maintenance and/ or labor position experiences are considered an asset. Competency in the use of Microsoft Office, computer training, and familiarization with computerized maintenance programs.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid class 5 Alberta Driver’s License is required.
Demonstrate effective and diplomatic oral and written communication skills using English.
Knowledge of basic math skills.
Makes recommendations beyond the scope of essential duties, which may positively or negatively impact the operations of other departments.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Demonstrated knowledge of various laws and regulations related to safety, building and fire code, safe work practices, and the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission.
Essential duties may involve performing physical exertion: frequent brisk walking, climbing stairs, stooping, bending, stretching, reaching, kneeling, squatting, pushing and standing for entire work shift.
Essential duties may involve working in a small, confined area, with floors which may become slippery in the work process. Essential duties require lifting up to 50 pounds to stack, store or move casino and/or general office supplies and equipment. Essential duties also involve sitting while completing paperwork or using a computer, and a flexible work, week with additional hours routinely required.
Essential duties may involve working in a casino environment, which contains loud noise, odors and a frequently hot cold work environment. Essential duties also involve a large amount of walking throughout the facility, office work, and working with a large number of people in a busy environment. Significant exterior work is required, subject to extreme temperature changes and adverse weather conditions including: wind, rain, snow, cold and heat. May spend significant time in an interior parkade, containing a dusty environment and the fumes from vehicle exhaust.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED
Various cleaning and maintenance equipment used on regular basis, including sweepers, vacuums, scrubbers, snow removal equipment, landscaping equipment, power and air tools. Various general office equipment, including computers, cell phones, fax machines, photocopiers, shredders, and telephones.
Job Type: Full-time