Part Time, Permanent
As soon as possible
Pet Groomers and Animal Care Workers (6483)
NOC Job Title:
Supervisor, Animal Attendants
Expires in 0 days
18700 Hwy. 16
Queen Charlotte City, British Columbia
V0T 1S0, Canada
The BC SPCA Haida Gwaii Branch is currently seeking a hard-working team player to take on the part-time role of Animal Care Supervisor. The shift is four days a week/ four hours a day. This position reports to the Regional Manager and is accountable for the management and coordination of branch volunteers and activities. The successful candidate will promote the BC SPCA’s mission and implement provincial initiatives within the branch and surrounding community, lead local fund raising efforts and promote the branch through various community events, literature and media.
This position is primarily focused on applying the Five Freedoms to ensure that optimal levels of care are administered to the animals within the branch. This position provides primary care and support to all branch-based animals including feeding and cleaning of housing areas, socialization, and transportation of animals as may be required. This position also assumes a leadership role, advising volunteers in the areas of animal care and administrative duties and liaising with key community contacts as required.
You will ensure the operating budget of the branch is adhered to and provide overall optimum care for the animals within the branch’s area of responsibility. You are also responsible for the health and safety of branch volunteers as well as maintaining a clean and safe environment for the public.
You are a self-motivated, energetic people person who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. You remain calm and compassionate while carrying on several tasks at the same time. You are organized, reliable and customer-service oriented & have previous experience in animal husbandry. You care deeply about animals and uphold the highest animal care standards.
To succeed in this role you bring:
- Post-secondary education, minimum 3 years in a managerial/supervisory role
- Must have a genuine compassion for animals and sound knowledge of the Five Freedoms and related animal welfare standards
- Self-directed and confident with the ability to think critically, problem solve and resolve conflict manage
- Motivate and mentor staff, set standards and appraise performance
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, meet priorities and to work within a demanding work schedules with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with internal and external stakeholders at all levels in a positive manner
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to regularly travel throughout the assigned region and Province as necessary
- Must have a valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Previous experience working within an animal shelter, fundraising, volunteer management and media experience considered an asset
- Computer skills – Windows, MS Office incl. PowerPoint, Excel and Skype
If being an ambassador for the BC SPCA excites and motivates you, and you have the skills we are looking for and are legally entitled to work in Canada, we would love to hear from you.
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
How to Apply
Nov 17, 2019