Purpose and Scope
Reporting to the City Clerk, the Land Technician provides technical and administrative support for all functions
associated with property management services, in particular those related to the area of real estate and
Nature and Scope of Work
Provide a wide variety of office and field tasks including, but not limited to:
- Prepare, sometimes under tight deadlines, various legal agreements including, but not limited to: purchase
and sale agreements; licenses of occupation; lease agreements; access agreements; and statutory rights of
way and easements;
- Prepare scope of work and coordination of contracted services such as lawyers, surveyors, appraisers etc;
- Develop and/or maintain departmental records, file systems, databases, manuals and guidelines including,
but not limited to, departmental-specific information required for City-wide databases;
- Control, manage, diarize and perform necessary follow-up for relevant departmental files for completion
dates and time sensitive issues;
- Process and maintain accounting data including, but not limited to: purchase orders; invoices; cheque
requisitions; and expense claims;
- Receive, prioritize and respond to inquiries from the public, consultants, other agencies and internal
- Correspond, liaise or consult with other departments and outside agencies;
- Attend internal and external meetings to provide technical assistance on various real estate and property
- Provide research assistance for management staff on a variety of topics including sourcing and interpreting
information from various departments and agencies;
- Perform analysis and evaluation on data and documentation from various departments and agencies and
makes recommendations to the Manager on a variety of real estate and property issues;
- Prepare correspondence, minutes and/or agendas, research and draft reports and various documents, from
oral direction and/or own initiative, and sign correspondence and documentation as authorized;
- Provide administrative and technical support to other management functions as needed;
- Continually examine work processes to identify problem areas or opportunities for improvement;
- Undertake specific assignments, including research and follow-up on special projects, and complete under
direction of supervisor;
- Perform other duties as may be required.
- Thorough knowledge of procedures, forms, documents and legal terminology relating to rights and
interest in land, including Land Title Office registrations.
- Sound knowledge of conveyance procedures and documentation.
Job Description – Land Technician
Page 2 of 2
- Knowledge of contract law and real estate law.
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles.
- Thorough knowledge of general office procedures, composition of letters and customization of
documents relevant to discipline.
- Knowledge of department’s role within the City’s organizational structure.
- Thorough knowledge of Provincial and/or Federal statues and regulations relevant to discipline.
- Working knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations and safe work procedures.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective and courteous interaction with the public, other agencies and internal departments.
- Effective conflict resolution skills.
- Proficiency in advanced levels of Microsoft Word and Excel (minimum 60% within the last 18
- Familiarity with Tempest Land based system (or equivalent).
- Safe work habits and practices.
- Ability to work under general direction only, exercising considerable independence and initiative in
the execution of duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to change work priorities with little or short notice.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to maintaining a respectful, safe and supportive work
environment that embraces diversity, along with treating everyone with courtesy, dignity and
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Completion of a two (2) year Diploma in business, office administration, or a related field
o An assessable equivalent in education, training and experience; including the successful
completion of a course (accredited course or a course of 25 hours or more in duration from an
accredited school or program) in each of the following:
Business Communications or Accounting; and
Business Law, Contract Law Or Conveyancing
- Introductory course in Project Management
- Training in Customer Service.
- Must possess and maintain valid Class 5 Driver’s License, and produce and maintain a clean
driver’s abstract, as per City policy.
- Minimum of five (5) years recent experience (within the last ten (10) years) in a property
management, real estate or legal office environment in an administrative and technical support
- Legal Assistant or Paralegal Certificate