Spend your summer with our International youth (ages 9-17) at our residential summer camp taking place at the UBC Campus. The Centre Director position is the most senior position at the camp and requires an experienced youth camp professional with experience managing a team of 15+ individuals. Previous camp experience is key here as the Centre Director has overall responsibility for the camp that accommodates more than 350 students each summer. Salary is $1200 per week with accommodation and meals included. Contract is from Wednesday, June 24th - Sunday, August 9th, 2020. Please review duties and qualifications required below. Please contact with a resume to request an application form.
Job Type / Category
This is a key management role and is ideal for individuals with previous experience managing/directing Junior language camps. The Centre Director is required to live on-site at the residence. This is a full-time, fixed term position. Due to the nature of the work, your hours may vary and may be irregular. Accommodation and meals are included during the summer post.
Duties and Responsibilities
Set-up and Close down
· Co-ordinate and lead the pre-course briefing with the support of the Activity Manager and Academic Manager ensuring that all team members are adequately briefed with all tasks allocated.
· Unpack and pack all resources at the beginning and end of the course and monitor usage, reporting any missing or damaged materials.
· Conduct pre-course and post-course damage itinerary with school / university authorities.
· Ensure that the center is set up and prepared for the staff and student’s arrival, including signage, first days transfers and staff rosters.
· Liaise with the host-school / university representative to ensure a smooth relationship and maintain standards particularly in areas such as food quality and cleaning.
· Produce accurate reports for school / university and head office of meals & bed nights, classroom usage, and all incidents and damages.
· Ensure that all ILSC rules, procedures and directives are understood and adhered to in full.
· Supervise center banking arrangements and ensure safe conveyance and storage of all moneys and documents.
· Maintain accurate accounts and the financial success of the school, controlling expenditure to within agreed budgets, monitoring classroom loading, leisure costs, managing petty cash, and reconciling expenditure at the end of the course
· Liaise with school/university staff for use of additional facilities following approval from Head Office.
· Build a dedicated teaching and program support team who will work to ILSC standards.
· Conduct regular staff meetings; carry out necessary training and appraisals reporting any related issues to the Director of Junior Courses.
· Monitor staff working hours and periods of rest, produce staff schedules (in conjunction with the Academic Manager and Activity Manager).
· Compile end of course feedback questionnaires from all staff members and conduct staff appraisals.
· Arrange weekly meetings with Group Leaders.
· Ensure staff are assigned to assist with student arrivals and departures on a Sunday.
· Welcome students on the first day, introducing the team and explaining the academic, social and welfare responsibilities of the members of the team.
· Oversee collection of damage deposits, passports, monies & flight tickets.
· Oversee and co-ordinate all course transport arrangements and the departures of students on weekends, checking beds and facilities, collecting keys as appropriate, escorting students etc.
· Ensure that students have a clear understanding of staff roles, school rules, disciplinary procedures and areas that are out of bounds.
Day to Day
· Manage the course daily, setting up the staff schedule, monitoring the performance of the ILSC team as well as the satisfaction levels of the students (through First Impressions Reports, End-of Course Questionnaires, and first hand evaluation).
· Handle welfare and disciplinary issues during the course including student illness and staff issues.
· Ensure the safety and welfare of the students at all times, liaising with the Director of Junior Courses and Head Office as appropriate.
· Report regularly to the Director of Junior Courses on day-to-day events during the course.
· Take overall responsibility for disciplinary matters in consultation with the Activity Manager, Academic Manager and Head Office.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
· Experience managing a team of 15+ staff members
· Experience of working with children and teenagers in a residential setting
· TESL Qualification
· Appropriate leisure qualification e.g. Sports Management or Event Planning
· Advanced CPR / First Aid / Lifeguard certification
Additional Requirements of the Job:
· Attendance at pre-season training
· Arrival at center at least three days before course start date
· Attendance during the course on a rotation basis for six days per week
· One full day off per week
· Reside on campus
· Criminal Record Police Check
Due to the large number of resumes received, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted, or will receive a response. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position.
ILSC Education Group is an award winning global educator that delivers quality educational programs using a dynamic approach that responds to student interests. Our largest and longest running division, ILSC Language Schools, has been offering language training programs to International students from more than 100 countries since 1991. We also offer a range of programs through our Colleges, Corporate Training, and Continuing Education divisions. Since opening its first school in Vancouver, BC, Canada, ILSC has become a world leader in language and career training, and has grown to include 8 incredible locations around the world, in Vancouver, Toronto and Montréal, Canada; New Delhi, India; and Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, and Melbourne, Australia.
Our mission is to keep developing ILSC as one of the finest schools for language and career education where people have excellent and transformative learning and living experiences.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $1,200.00 /week