General Description of the Job:
- Perform general preventative maintenance responsibilities that include setting up, adjusting and repairing all types of equipment in order to allow the organization to consistently meet our standards for quality, cost, and food safety.
- Perform scheduled maintenance tasks as well as machine breakdown tasks to maintain continuous production.
- Perform preventative maintenance on all plant equipment and machinery.
- Maintain our machines to ensure they are in good, safe working order for continuous production.
- React promptly to problems with the machine and resolving breakdowns quickly and efficiently.
- Manage the preventative maintenance program designed to keep down time to a minimum and ensuring there is an adequate supply of spares to replace broken or worn out machine parts.
- Monitor all the machines, visually inspecting components while running and troubleshooting any problems that are detected.
- Start the machine up pre-production and ensuring everything is ready for the 6:00am start time or shut down the machine post-production and ensuring everything is ready for the Sanitation Crew (shift dependent).
- Check machines in operation on a continual basis in order to detect problems; exercise judgement in executing necessary adjustments as required in order to maintain quality control standards.
- Share questions, learnings, and best practices with fellow mechanics and maintenance workers in order to contribute to machine efficiency levels and decreasing machine breakdowns.
- Keep accurate maintenance records and journals.
- Perform electrical troubleshooting on 480 volt 3 phase system to include blown fuses, repairing and rewiring motors, under qualified supervision.
- Set up and operate all types of production equipment and machine tools such as, but not limited to, lathes, mills, welder, make or rework required machine parts.
- Perform basic PLC troubleshooting.
- Repair and maintain packaging equipment and high speed PLC controlled equipment.
- Repair and maintain processing and material handling equipment.
- Carry out requirements of Preventative Maintenance programs.
- Perform facility repairs as required.
- Ensure all work is completed in a safe manner and complies with applicable industry standards.
- Practice and perform according to established safe work practices
- Assist equipment operators to improve line efficiency and ensure continual running of the machine.
- Ensure employees are following established HACCP (Food Safety), bio-security, and health and safety procedures.
- Ensure all food safety issues are communicated with Plant Manager.
- Keep work area clean and tidy and free of hazards.
- 2 years minimum experience in a manufacturing plant.
- Experience in maintaining, repairing, overhauling, servicing, and troubleshooting processing, packaging, and material handling equipment in a manufacturing plant.
- Proven problem solving skills will a mechanical understanding of machinery
- Ability to trouble shoot electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems
- Knowledge developing preventative maintenance programs, including training and operating procedures.
- Experience using computer applications and programs.
- Some experience operating mobile equipment such as a forklift or pallet jack.
- On the job training will be required as the machinery is unique to the egg industry.
Education and Skills
- Grade 12 education and strong English (written and verbal) and mathematical skills.
- Licensed Industrial Millwright Mechanic or similar, Trades certification in electrical or millwright.
- Equipment Operator’s Certification to operate the forklift and pallet jack, or the ability to obtain certifications.
- Courses in electronics, computers and/or welding would be an asset.
- A strong mechanical aptitude and skill at troubleshooting machinery is a must.
- Proven problem solving skills with a mechanical understanding of machinery.
- Strong communication skills, able to provide clear, concise general instructions for team effectiveness.
- The ability to communicate and take directions effectively and efficiently in the English language, both verbal and written.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and be self-motivated with minimal supervision.
- To become competent in this position, approximately 6 months of on-the-job training is required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Maintenance: 4 years (Preferred)