Reference Number: 722.28
Position: Human Resource Assistant
We are looking for a flexible, innovative and proactive team player with outstanding collaboration and problem-solving skills to support the Human Resources Operations at TDCSS.
The Human Resource Assistant position is both strategic and a hands-on role that provides Human Resources support to the organization and reports to the Director of Human Resources and Operations. The role is critical in executing our Human Resource initiatives, providing great employee support, and driving Human Resource functional excellence and process improvement.
You will thrive in a fast-paced environment where juggling priorities and tight deadlines are a consistent expectation. Initiative, outstanding customer service and effective problem-solving skills are the foundations of this role. Also, your exceptional interpersonal skills will enable you to communicate comfortably, both verbally and in writing, with employees across all levels of the organization and with the general public in a highly professional and confidential manner. The ideal candidate for this position is highly organized, detail oriented and administratively capable. They are actively looking to build a career in Human Resources and grow as an HR professional. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked in a unionized, public sector environment and with demonstrated ability with HRIS systems, Outlook, and Word.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Director of Human Resources and Operations with the development, implementation and ongoing management of human resource programs and projects across the organization.
- Follows all company policies and procedures.
- Assists in the development of human resources policy and procedure, as required.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of employee, organizational, proprietary records, files, and information at all times.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships across all departments and levels of the organization. listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees.
- Protects company assets.
- Presents a positive image of the Organization in the community. This includes but is not limited to abiding by TDCSS’s Policy and Procedures including the Code of Conduct and the Code of Ethics
- Maintains working knowledge of all relevant program and society policy and procedures, and Federal and provincial legislation related to human resources.
- Understand the complex needs of the organization, considering the needs of the funder, Collective Agreement and personnel when making decisions
- Ensures accurate data integrity in the HRIS, CRM, and Office 365 systems.
- Organizes and ensures accurate maintenance of all employee records and files both electronic and physical.
- Assists in the preparation of documents, including but not limited to employment letters, forms, legal documents, and other business correspondence.
Human Resource Assistant Job Responsibilities
Effective April 01, 2019
- Assists in the movement of employees across the organization by providing administrative support to employee transfers and/or position changes.
- Works with supervisors and managers to ensure employees shift schedules are accurate and accurately reflected in the HRIS system.
- Provides scheduling support for employee shift cancelations, leaves, vacations, etc.
- Inputs regular schedules into the HRIS system
- Develop program schedules in conjunction with Associate Directors, Managers, and Supervisors
- Effectively manage daily sick call-ins from staff in various programs
- Participate in vacation scheduling, following the Collective Agreement as it pertains to the bi-annual request periods within a calendar year
- Manager casual employee schedules including monthly, weekly, and daily scheduling
- Schedule and book new hire program orientations, as well as training and staff development as required
- Effectively schedule ongoing time-off requests as they are submitted by employees, based upon the operational needs of the organization
- Ensure GL code, shift code, pay code accuracy
- Complete ongoing maintenance of the online scheduling program, ComVida. Including, entering data such as certifications, training, skill sets, etc.)
- Follow compliance as it pertains to the Collective Agreement, TDCSS policy and procedures, and Canadian Labor Law
- HR filing as needed
- Run reports using ComVida as requested
Payroll and Benefits
- Provides payroll support through accurate scheduling and shift coding.
- Provides benefits support to employees as directed.
Recruitment and Selection
- Manages the administrative requirements of the recruitment and selection process including participating in job analysis, job design, job postings, applicant screening, conducting applicant interviews, participating in the grading and hiring decision of applicants, complete reference checks, background checks, and provides letters of hire.
Hiring and Orientation
- Administers job interviews, scores interviewees, and contributes to the making of hiring decisions.
- Assists with offer packages (Prepare offer letters, maintain package materials, get appropriate signatures, mail out offer packages, etc.).
- Administers new hire orientations.
- Organizes the new hire process for all new staff including: conducting new hire orientations, coordinating new hire training sessions, and providing notifications to I.T. about new hires in order for them to be added to the organizations databases and systems.
- Ensures that new hire paperwork is filed appropriately and inputted into the HRIS system
Quality Assurance and Progressive Discipline
- Assists in the preparation and communication of reports regarding new hires, transfers, promotions, terminations, absence management, and other strategic human resource metrics as required.
- Participates in Strategic Human Resource data gathering, data analysis, and strategy development.
- Monitors and tracks employee sick time, keep track of staff absenteeism and advise the Director of Human Resources and Operations of concerns.
- Supports employee adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Informs the Director of Human Resources and Operations of issues related to employee relations as you become aware of them.
- Assists the Director of Human Resources and Operations in conducting workplace investigations, the progressive disciplinary process, and employee terminations. May lead out both the investigation process and the progressive disciplinary process, including determining disciplinary remedy and employee terminations.
- Reports accidents and injuries to DMI
- Conducts exit interviews as required.
- When working with employees; always act with professionalism, patience, and kindness while ensuring to maintain the best interest of TDCSS.
- Acts as a point of contact for human resources related employee inquiries ensuring to resolve issues in a timely manner with the appropriate documentation.
- Responds to questions, requests, and concerns from employees and management regarding human resource programs, policies and guidelines.
- Provide coaching around HR related issues that may come up when communicating with an employee.
Performs other reasonable job duties as requested by the Director of Human Resources and Operations. May provides support to Recruitment and Selection, Hiring and Orientation, Quality Assurance and Progressive Discipline activities as time permits.
- Supports the Director of Human Resources and Operations with the development, implementation and ongoing management of employee engagement and diversity initiatives.
Hours 35-40 hours per week FULL-TIME (current schedule is 35 hours weekly)
ShiftsMonday – Friday, 9-5 pm Hours may change based on operational need
Education, Training and Experience:
At least 1-2 years of experience in a supervisory role or within a human resources department.
- Human Resources experience.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline, diploma in Human Resources preferred, CHRP designation is an asset.
- Strong proficiency in use of Microsoft Office suite, email and web browsers; experience with HRIS
- Previous experience in handling sensitive personnel information, confidentially and professionally. Has the ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding confidential employee information.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, complemented with strong customer service skills
- Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment, as well as with cross-functional teams
- Attention to detail and the ability to effectively manage and prioritize a varied workload, ensuring that all deadlines are met
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions
- Natural leader and an independent thinker, who is not afraid to ask questions and propose alternate solutions
- A team player, with a flexible attitude, the ability to establish priorities and who can work well under pressure
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation, statutes, and regulations regarding Human Resources issues. (i.e. Human Rights, Employment Equity, etc.)
- Solid knowledge of Human Resources theories, practices, legislation and resources
- Has experience working in a unionized workplace.
- Has worked in a supervisory position for a period of at least one year.
- Solid understanding of the collective agreement and how to appropriately apply human resource practice in compliance with the collective agreement while ensuring the employer’s interests are met.
An equivalent of education and/or experience will be considered for this job. Job Descriptions are available upon request from the TDCSS Human Resources Department.
Pay and Benefits will be in accordance with TDCSS.
TDCSS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, however only successful applicants will be contacted.
This position is open to applicants of all genders.
Please apply for each posting that you are interested separately, even if you have previously applied with TDCSS.
Wage – $22.00 to $25.00 hourly
All applications must be submitted to: hiring at tdcss.ca
All external applications must include: TDCSS Application, and three work references
Date Posted: April 16, 2019 Closing Date: April 23, 2019
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $22.00 to $25.00 /hour
- supervisory: 1 year (Preferred)
- Human Resources: 1 year (Preferred)