WestJet Vacations is one of Canada’s most recognized and respected tour operations. Founded in 2006, WestJet Vacations was launched to the world with less than 20 agents and sold vacation packages to 33 destinations, 23 in Canada and 10 in the U.S. Today, we offer packages to 86 destinations in North America, Central America, Caribbean, and Europe.
WestJet Vacations' mission is to help guests create albums full of vacation memories and experiences that will last a lifetime. This is achieved by offering guests a nearly limitless choice of vacations packages, all backed by WestJetters who care. There are more than 800 carefully selected hotels and resorts that include luxury, family condominium accommodation and each offers different amenities and activities to suit guests' needs and dreams. WestJet Vacations will take care of the little details, so guests have a worry-free vacation experience and fill their album full of memories.
Today, WestJet Vacations is one of the most recognized and respected tour operators in Canada. Our vacation package offers a variety of products and services purchased such as: flights, hotel accommodations, car rentals and tour attractions. WVI supports our network expansion, providing revenue generating opportunities which continue to expand through agreements with hotels, car rental agencies, tour operators and other travel related vendors to provide a variety of customized vacation options to meet our guests’ travel needs.
Vice President, WestJet Vacations (WVI)
The Vice President, WestJet Vacations (WVI) has overall responsibility for the financial and operational performance of WestJet Vacations and will play a critical role in leading its growth and expansion. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Chief Commercial Officer, the Vice President, WVI will lead a talented team consisting of the Director, Product, Director, Operations, and Manager, WVI Revenue.
The Vice President, WVI plays a meaningful leadership role in the organization while credibly representing WVI both internally and externally. This individual will work closely with various internal stakeholders including the Vice President, Sales and Distribution, Chief Digital and Innovation Officer, Vice President, Network Planning and Alliances, Vice President, Revenue Management, Vice President, Loyalty Programs, and Vice President, Marketing and Communications. Furthermore the Vice President, WVI will be an active member of the global travel industry and will be required to build and maintain partner relationships and represent WVI at industry conferences and events.
Ideally, the successful candidate also should have the breadth and potential to stand for succession into a more senior commercial leadership role over time.
The Vice President, WVI is directly responsible for the following activities:
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive WVI strategy which addresses current and future travel and vacation trends.
- Adopt a continuous improvement mindset and build a culture of innovation across the WVI team.
- Ensure that all available distribution channels are leveraged, including digital, trade, and call centre.
- Ensure pricing, product packaging and subsequent revenue management of the air and hotel inventory maximizes revenue for WestJet and WestJet Vacations.
- Design, implement and deploy technologies and processes to ensure that the guest experience matches the WestJet brand and the guest promises of WestJet Vacations.
- Develop all advertising objectives for WestJet Vacations and coordinating with WestJet Marketing to ensure that the objectives are consistent and aligned with WestJet.
- Coordinate with the WestJet Sales and Distribution team to ensure that the integrated sales function for both WestJet and WestJet Vacations are aligned and that the sales function is delivering on the needs of WestJet Vacations.
- Ensure that WestJet Vacations stays on top of digital developments, functionalities, content distribution as well as distribution capabilities which are key for WVI 2.0
- Coordinate with WestJet Revenue Management to ensure that the synergies between WestJet airline operations and WestJet Vacations Tour Operator business are captured and that both business units work together to support the strategic goal of continued profitable growth of WestJet.
- Provide exceptional leadership to all the entire WestJet Vacations team.
Professional Experience & Qualifications
The ideal candidate is an accomplished travel executive with a proven track record in the airline, leisure travel, or hospitality industry. This individual will be well-grounded in broad commercial and operational aspects of the travel industry and possesses a strong understanding of current and future travel trends.
- Minimum of five years of executive leadership experience at a leading tour operator or international airline, with a foundation in operations, sales, marketing, and/or guest experience.
- Solid understanding of the importance and impact of delivery exceptional customer experience on customer loyalty.
- Deep understanding of digital developments, distribution of content and products.
- Drive change management within WVI in terms of processes, organization and digital competencies.
- Senior management experience in developing and then executing on a robust business plan.
- Strong network of contacts within relevant partners and stakeholders in the North American travel industry.
- Strategic Planning Management and the ability to adapt business plans to a rapidly changing competitive and economic environment.
- Several years experience in Profit & Loss responsibility.
- Demonstrated leadership and Team Building skills to motivate and guide staff to deliver exceptional results.
- Several years experience in hotel contracting, purchasing and inventory control.
- Significant experience in brand positioning, promotions and advertising and working with partners to maximize their contribution on joint marketing and advertising activities.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional guest experience through a focus on the details that impact customer experience and using the guest experience to drive loyalty and customer retention.
- Bilingualism will be considered a strong asset.
- Undergraduate degree in business, marketing, or hospitality is preferred.
- Master’s degree in business administration, marketing, or finance would be an asset.
- Exceptionally qualified candidates with extensive airline and tour operator experience will be considered in lieu of meeting the educational requirements.
Competencies & Attributes
- Unwavering commitment to safety, continuous improvement, and operational excellence.
- Strong leadership skills with a broad spectrum of operational experience, expertise and strategic planning.
- Well respected leader who has demonstrated his/her ability to excel in a multi-constituent setting requiring drive and initiative but also tact and diplomacy.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to implement a strategy and ensure buy-in across all levels in the organization.
- Embody WestJet’s four core values: Act like an Owner, Care from the Heart, Rise to the Challenge, and Work Together to Win.
Please submit your application via the WestJet website:
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates that meet the minimum qualifications and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
WestJet An Alberta Partnership
22 Aerial Place NE
Calgary, AB T2E 3J1
Job Type: Full-time
- Executive Leadership: 5 years (Preferred)