Vision: To join a team of dedicated people who are committed to building a community of care where people thrive by creating an environment that promotes well-being of all residents, that fights to eliminate loneliness, helplessness and boredom, and where decision are made by those that live here or those closest to them. Creating a place that “Feels like Home”.
Role: Under the direction of the Director of Support Services, or designated supervisor, enhance the quality of life of the resident, staff and other entering the Glacier view lodge by providing a clean and safe environment . Performs a variety of duties including touchpoint cleaning, cleaning, and heavy cleaning (see specific duties).
1. Cleans areas such as floors and stairways by methods such as wet mopping, scrubbing, stripping, sealing, waxing, buffing, polishing, vacuuming, shampooing, brushing, and shaking. As per set schedule, use Task-i to clean floors and halls on a regular basis.
2. Washes areas such as walls, windows, ceilings, light fixtures, air vents and ducts, steam cleans items such as waste receptacles and dietary carts. Daily touch point cleaning. Daily check and wipe of rails throughout the building, and checks for and disposes debris.
3. Cleans washes and disinfect a variety of items such as window sills and ledges, baseboards, heaters, shelves, interior windows, and ornaments by methods such as dusting, wiping and polishing.
4. Cleans and disinfect furniture by methods such as damp wiping, polishing and shampooing upholstery.
5. Ensures stock of items for housekeeping and laundry workers use, such as chemicals, paper supplies, mop heads and so on are placed in storage areas.
6. Ensures that all hand towel dispensers have adequate paper and that the soap dispensers have sufficient soap in them.
7. According to specific procedures and following infection control policies, cleans and disinfects clients rooms, washrooms, and common spaces
8. Transports heavy furniture, equipment and/or supplies manually and/or by using dollies and carts as needed.
9. Changes window drapes in resident rooms, as required. Notes and recommends necessary cleaning of drapes/valances in common areas. Ensure furniture’s, equipment’s and chattels are arranged in a manner which provides a safe, and efficient environment, according to WCB safety guidelines.
10. Collects and disposes of garbage and refuse. Cleans small garbage containers and empties external ashtrays.
11. Clears snow from walkways and building entrances.
12. Follows specified procedures for cleaning of infectious areas.
13. Ensures terminal cleaning of resident rooms are done according to the specific procedure and will include washing walls, washing surfaces (shelves, counter tops, mattress & bed frame etc.), cleaning all areas of the bathroom and emptying garbage.
14. Observes WHMIS regulations for mixing, storage and use of chemicals.
15. Checks and maintains all housekeeping equipment by cleaning and replacing items such as filter bags, cleaning pads (Task-i), and carpet cleaner and reporting any malfunctioning equipment to the immediate supervisor.
16. Checks and requests supplies or repairs from Supervisor and or Maintenance Engineer.
17. Participates in the Glacier View Lodge Occupational Health and Safety Program.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Completion of Grade 10 and/or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The successful candidate has:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Emotional capacity to work with residents living with dementia and/or near end of life
- Ability to function as part of a dynamic interdisciplinary team
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Flexibility and ability to organize work by priorities
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $20.56 per hour
- Casual dress
- Employee assistance program
- On-site parking
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
As a long-term care home, we take all necessary Covid-19 precautions per the PHO.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Courtenay, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Cleaning: 1 year (preferred)