Performs basic patient care and ophthalmic pretesting procedures. Assists optometrists and ophthalmologists in their duties. Provides patients with a selection of glasses, completes orders, manages inventory. Manage inventory of frames and contact lenses to ensure optimum customer satisfaction and product variety. Performs clerical functions and assists with basic training of non-certified technicians, students and research assistants.
Job Type / Category
Dynamic professional health care team which includes optometrists and ophthalmologists. This is a part-time position, which may include evening shifts and Saturdays. The candidate must be flexible, have professional experience, and be able to communicate well with patients and other health care professionals. On job training and competitive compensation is provided.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Safely transporting all mobile equipment to all assigned clinics.
- Safely setting up and taking down all equipment at each assigned clinic
- Maintaining an organized tally of equipment and ensuring it remains in good repair.
- Notifying management of any equipment issues.
- Assisting in patient scheduling
- Assisting in public relations
- Assisting in marketing and research
- Serving as the primary customer service representative
- Accurately performing patient screening/testing:
- History, Visual Acuity, Pupil Assessment, Goldmann Applanation, Colour Vision, Instilling drops, etc. * Accurately performing diagnostic testing:
- Fundus Assessment, Visual Field, etc. * Explaining the purpose of each test and demonstrating proactive assessment;
- Communicating with patients regarding follow-up care, pre and post-operative care, testing, possible symptoms, changes in appointment times etc;
- Efficiently and accurately documenting all pertinent information in patient records (EMR);
- Maintaining, calibrating and cleaning all equipment used throughout the day;
- Reviewing selection of spectacles with patients
- Reviewing spectacle prescriptions
- Fitting selected spectacles for patients
- Managing optical inventory.
- Returning phone calls to patients and other healthcare professionals in a timely manner;
- Assisting doctors in their duties.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Certified Dispensing Optician or Optometric assistant certification or higher is Required
- 2+ years of previous experience as an ophthalmic assistant/technician
- Completion of your AAO/COA is an asset;
- 3+ years’ experience in the optometry field is an asset
- Excellent patient service skills with an aptitude to understand the patients’ conditions;
- Strong computer skills, highly skilled in Microsoft Office with previous EMR experience;
- Ability to quickly grasp and adapt to new programs and equipment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Self-motivation to deliver high quality results;
- Present a cheerful, friendly and professional image to patients and fellow employees;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to demonstrate consistent initiative and a team attitude;
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work unsupervised or with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent ability operating lensometers and other equipment.
Mobile multidisciplinary eyecare team which includes optometrists and ophthalmologists working together to provide much needed services for marginalized populations including immigrants, refugees, First Nations, children, seniors, homeless, etc.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $75,000.00 /year
- Driver's Licence (Required)
- English (Required)
- French (Preferred)
- OTHERS (Preferred)