Cataloguing Technician, Library Services
Manager, Professional Services
For over 50 years, the Library Services Centre (LSC) has stood as an industry leader serving libraries across Canada. We provide comprehensive acquisitions, cataloguing, processing, and consultancy services for libraries of all sizes and budgets. We continue to revolutionize and expand our services and keep ahead of trends so that our clients can focus on their patrons. Together, we keep Canadian libraries current and innovative.
This position requires the creation of derived and original cataloguing records for print, AV & specialty materials. All bibliographic records are created in MARC format, based on the standards set out in RDA.
This is a fully remote role, and hours are completely left to the successful candidate. It is ideally suited for experienced librarians who are seeking additional work in addition to their current roles outside of their normal working hours. You can work as little or as much as you want according to the work we have available. We are open to candidate from anywhere in North America as long as they have the right experience and can work independently.
Duties, responsibilities, skills and qualifications
- Cataloguing according to RDA standards
- Knowledge of one or both (Work will be assigned as per your experience)
- Dewey Decimal system
- Library of Congress standards
- Strong typing and computer skills and familiarity with cataloguing tools such as:
- Problem solving skills and the ability to apply cataloguing rules logically
- Ability to work with speed and a high level of accuracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in French or other languages considered an asset
- Reading knowledge of other languages considered an asset
- Must have: Library Technician’s Diploma ; MLIS considered an asset
· Exceptional time management skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects of high importance
· Knowledge of the public library or publishing industry is also considered a huge asset
· Developed skillset in MS Office; particularly Excel
· Excellent active listening skills, with the ability to understand, clarify, and resolve issues and concerns
This role is fully remote, with a piecework compensation model. We pay different rates for different material types and languages.
Job Types: Casual, Freelance
- Do you have a library technician Diploma or M.L.I.S. Degree?
- Library Cataloguing (Academic or Public): 2 years (required)
Work Location: Remote