GENERAL MANAGER, HUMAINOLOGIE GALLERY + STORE (Part-Time Contract)
We are looking for a vibrant and energetic addition to our team at Humainologie. We are a Calgary nonprofit and we have recently opened a social enterprise gallery + store in Calgary’s 17th Avenue SW district. Learn more about us at www.humainologie.com.
Only applicants who provide a resume and letter of interest in two separate documents will be considered for this position. Please highlight why you are excited to work with Humainologie and any experience you have in retail, merchandising, management, event coordination, social enterprise, not for profit and/or social media content development. Applications with completed phone screen will be prioritized for review.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is found.
Humainologie is a division of the Calgary Centre for Global Community. Our mission is to spread empathy, increase inclusion, and reduce discrimination. We focus on three areas: 1) developing empathy skills to create more inclusive people and communities; 2) sharing the stories and experiences of marginalized or misrepresented people in order to build understanding, promote inclusivity and reduce discrimination; and 3) creating self-awareness and self-understanding to improve empathy skills, and to address biases, fear, and barriers to connection.
About the Role
The General Manager is a part-time role reporting to the CEO and responsible for managing all aspects of the operation of the Humainologie Gallery + Store located in Calgary’s Beltline district just off 17th Ave SW.
This position would typically work scheduled hours between 11.45 and 6.15 from Wednesday through Sunday. Exact schedule has some flexibility and can be negotiated. Majority of work will be performed on-site at our Gallery + Store at 1514 - 7 Street SW, and from time to time remotely, at other Calgary locations, or at public events.
This position will commence as soon as possible for a one-year term (with intent to renew) with approximately 20 - 24 hours of work per week. This role would be mentored to take on more leadership responsibilities within the organization within six months of commencement and with the possibility of increasing hours.
About our Team
Our team is made up of action-oriented optimists who are dedicated to creating a world that is safer, healthier, and more inclusive. We work cooperatively and creatively demonstrating flexibility in organizing and undertaking work; showing a high degree of initiative, discernment and resourcefulness; exhibiting excellent communication and relational skills; demonstrating thoughtfulness and intelligence in decision making and honouring the values of truth, honesty and humility.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables
- Scheduling team and ensuring all shifts are covered
- Performing or arranging and overseeing general maintenance of gallery + store
- Researching and purchasing new socially conscious and/or local retail
- Creating merchandise displays
- Soliciting community art and film works for exhibit at our space
- Developing and implementing programming ideas
- Developing and implementing in store promotions
- Manage Humainologie event calendar
- Manage design and printing of new visual exhibit displays
- Collaborate with 17th Ave BIA/Beltline Community Neighbourhoods Association/local businesses/nonprofits to activate the space
- Work with Special Events Coordinator to oversee seasonal offsite activities (e.g. vendor booths at various festivals and events, such as Calgary Pride)
- Manage logistics for any offsite exhibit installations
- Assist with the implementation of Empathy Week activities
- Develop and post social media content for Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
- Hiring new ambassadors for the gallery + store
- Manage evaluation and store statistics
- Manage team contracts and payments
- Manage inventory processes
- Research and implement processes and opportunities for greater sustainability
- Perform day to day general operations of Humainologie Gallery + Store, including customer service, processing transactions, cleaning, and retail stocking
Education, Experience + Skills
- Prior retail experience required
- Excellent people skills, written communication skills and customer service experience
- Experience in an artistic environment preferred
- Experience as a leader in an employment setting for a minimum of one year
- Proven skills with various social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter are preferred
- Graphic design skills and familiarity with Adobe suite an asset
- Prior experience in not for profit sector an asset
- High level of accountability, dependability, and follow through
- Comfortable working independently, with support when needed
- Genuine belief in the power of empathy and inclusion
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $26.00 to $34.00 /hour